Shuffle music in Genre?

How can you shuffle the music in the entire genre?   I can shuffle music in the folder, but not across genre.  

I currently have all my music, photos, and video on the Hub and I use it as the media server.  I can shuffle the genre when I stream from the hub to the WD Live in my other room, but I am not able to shuffle when I am using the Hub direct.

I’m interested in this too … anyone?

I am interested as well.  It seems you can filter by “all track” and then by artist to get all tracks for a particular artist, which you can then play through in their entirety.  However, the same functionality does not work for filter by genre.  In this case you can only get a list of albums by genre and you can only play them one at a time.

I would like to request the hub have the ability to display all tracks of a particular genre, regardless of artist or album, and allow the user to play or shuffle through the entire set.

While on the topic of genre, I also notice that the hub does not transfer the genre category information well from itunes.  It has reclassified a number of albums and tracks into different genres from the ones I set in itunes.

I hope we can get this minor fix in an upcoming firmware release.

Thanks,

Count me in on that one.

mbeatty wrote:

While on the topic of genre, I also notice that the hub does not transfer the genre category information well from itunes.  It has reclassified a number of albums and tracks into different genres from the ones I set in itunes.

iTunes manages its own tag database.  The tags that show up on the WDTV are what’s contained in the file.  It doesn’t go into your PC and scan through the iTunes database and get the tags from there.  You need iTunes to apply the new genre tags you’ve selected to the files, overwriting what was in the file.

RoofingGuy wrote:

mbeatty wrote:

iTunes manages its own tag database.  The tags that show up on the WDTV are what’s contained in the file.  It doesn’t go into your PC and scan through the iTunes database and get the tags from there.  You need iTunes to apply the tags to the files.

• *In my case, all the meta data (ID3 tags) have been saved in the actual files. I still can’t do a shuffle of a whole genre.

Thanks for the itunes tip.  And how do you apply the tags to the file?   I have not been able to figure that one out.  Thanks

iTunes had done that automatically for me. I am using iTunes on mac, so I can’t tell you if it’s different under windows, but I doubt it. So if you are using version 9 or above, this should work out without problems.