Should I Update My Gen 3 Media Player Live

I have a WDTV Live Gen 3 media player. It has Firmware 1.16.13 on
it. I only use it to play mkv files, usually 720p when I can get
them. Some files play fine. Some stop after 1 - 2 minutes of playtime.
If I try to play again they stop at exactly the same spot. If I fast
forward, it will stop after a 10-15 seconds.

Questions: Should I upgrade my Firmware?

If so, can I use the 2.01.86 file from the WD website? It is listed as wdtvlivegen3_rollback_2.01.86.

Will it still upgrade even though it’s listed as a rollback or do I need a different version of 2.01.86? I put the firmware on my USB drive and the unit does detect and display New Firmware when booted up.

Can I use my 500 G Seagate portable hard drive to do the upgrade or do I have to use a USB “thumb” drive? As stated above, the unit did detect the firmware on the Portable USB Harddrive. (Portable Harddrive means it does not need a power cable.) As far as a thumb drive, I think I have a 400 mb drive if that would work. I’d rather not have to buy a USB stick if I don’t have to. I don’t want a worthless plastic brick either though.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bill. London, Canada

If you’re on 1.16.13 I think you are in the wrong forum. Sounds like you have the WD TV Media Player. 2.01.86 is the second to last release for the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player, which is the same as the WDTV Live Hub only without the internal hard drive.

My P/N # is WDBH70000NBK02.

It is a WD TV Live Gen 3 I believe. The firmware that I downloaded is from the section on this site for that product. I got it here:

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=5860

The firmware is in the column which has my Product number listed. FW 1.16.13 looks to be the version before 2.01.86

Does this clarify things?

No, he is’nt :wink:

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=5860

Ha! You’re right, Joey, obviously. It’s been so long since I’ve seen a 1.X post I immediately defaulted to assuming it was the newer box.