Should I switch from Live Plus?

Hi. I currently have the WD TV live plus media player. Is there any benefit to switching to the newer WD TV Streaming media player, other than built in wireless capability? Thanks.

The Streaming has a better UI and more online services available. 

1 Like

NO. The live streaming is riddled with issues. Unless you need the gigabit connection for stream large hd movies I wouldn’t bother. 

My old wdtv live worked brilliantly. Always connected to network resources without it issue. NEVER hung. This box needs to be restarted constantly. It can’t seem to handle when you remove a network resource, when you do it hangs.

EXTRA FLASH, but reduced performance and the new UI really isn’t that well thought out. Now when you press the info button during a movie for example to enable subtitles. The screen that comes up blocks the whole screen. LAME idea.

My original wdtv box interface is simpler, functional and IMO better.

I would advise you NOT to upgrade unless you need the gigabit connection. You have been warned.

Judging from Soundboy’s description, he doesn’t actually have one, or just doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Unless you need the gigabit connection for stream large hd movies

The SMP doesn’t have Gigabit Ethernet…  It’s 10/100 just like the Live Plus.

This box needs to be restarted constantly.

That’s never been my experience… 

Now when you press the info button during a movie

There is no such button.  Don’t know what he’s refering to.

for example to enable subtitles. The screen that comes up blocks the whole screen.

There’s a dedicated SUBTITLE button; and when used, it doesn’t cover the whole screen;  just a little box in the upper left that tells you which Subtitle / Audio tracks are activated that goes away after a few seconds.

soundboy wrote:

NO. The live streaming is riddled with issues. Unless you need the gigabit connection for stream large hd movies I wouldn’t bother. 

My old wdtv live worked brilliantly. Always connected to network resources without it issue. NEVER hung. This box needs to be restarted constantly. It can’t seem to handle when you remove a network resource, when you do it hangs.

EXTRA FLASH, but reduced performance and the new UI really isn’t that well thought out. Now when you press the info button during a movie for example to enable subtitles. The screen that comes up blocks the whole screen. LAME idea.

My original wdtv box interface is simpler, functional and IMO better.

I would advise you NOT to upgrade unless you need the gigabit connection. You have been warned.

Thanks for the information. I’m also considering adding or switching to Apple TV as it seems to be the only way I will be able to watch itunes movies on my TV.

Please allow me to correct myself . Ok, I do own two WDTV boxes. One being the very first one ever released, WDTV HD,and also the latest WDTV Live streaming version. I also previously owned but sold the WDTV Live (not plus).

I thought it was the info button was the options button because I use a universal remote which incidentally is still using the learned codes from the WDTV HD remote. Clearly I programmed the options button into my info button. Perhaps I will actually program the subtitle button into my universal remote (one issue solved).

I also recall having a tough time determining prior to purchasing whether or not the streaming unit actually had a GB ethernet port or not. Ultimately I called WD support and I was infromed that it does have a 10/100/1000 network port. Whether or not that is fact, I do not know. I CAN tell you that movies I was previously unable to stream with the LIVE unit I am now able to stream with the STREAMING unit.

The streaming unit DOES often hang on me. For example, if I am streaming from a pc, stop the movie, later turn off the pc and then attempt to connect to a different network resource, the system will hang because it keeps trying to connect to the other pc which is no longer connected. Once in a while I am able to restart the device, but most times I have to unplug it. Very annoying.

So at this point, I am still highly dissapointed with the stability of this unit in comparison to the other two units I have prior experience with. I suppose on the plus side I haven’t had any issues connecting to windows shares, but this isn’t worth the headache of constant reboots.

I suppose I may soon buy a NAS which will remain on at all times and resolve this headache for me. But I really shouldn’t have to. I can’t be the only one experiencing these issues.

BTW, if it doesn’t have a GB nic.

I can’t explain why I am able to now stream the movies I previously couldn’t. Since I always assumed it did and the network performance has been good, I never bothered to confirm this. Tonight when I get home I’ll check and see what speed my router says it is.

Since nothing else has changed in my setup, something in the streaming unit has improved streaming performance…

PS, I have never tested the wireless performance since I doubt it will be any better and most likely less reliable in comparison to the wired.