Should I RMA?

Ok, to start off, I made a topic yesterday which can be found here: http://community.wdc.com/t5/External-Drives-for-PC/Drive-stopped-working-properly/td-p/520454

Anyways, I’ve tried to format the drive through Device managment and it either freezes or will let me format only into exFat. If I try NTFS, it fails, and when I use WD quick formatter it fails.  Plus the SMART status through the LifeGuard Diagnostics shows a fail, and when I try to run a quick test it fails saying "Status code = 04 (unknown failed test element), failure checkpoint = 96 (unknown test).  I don’t really know what else to do or try besides sending it in.

RMA’ing the drive seems like the next step

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.  I tried to format it one more time with Acronis, and it said successful but then when I tried to access the drive from my computer, it locked everything up again. So I tried to format it again through Disk Managament, but it frooze too. Then the LifeGuard diagnostic even stopped recognizing it.  So I gave up, and just got back from dropping it off at UPS; got charged 30. 48$ to ship it…