Should I be worried about 4TB Red 3.5i NAS drives?

Relative novice…I have 2 4TB Red 3.5inch drives in a Synology DS415Play in Hybrid RAID with 1 disk fault tolerance. The disks are almost 2 years old and have a 3 year guarantee. (I think).

Over the last 2 months I’ve been getting increasing messages (dailyish) of ~“disk 2 had 1/O error but working properly now…”.

I’ve tried to run the S.M.A.R.T diagnostic; the quick test runs OK and the disk returns as “normal”. When I try the extended test, it does not conclude past 90% after waiting >24 hours.

However, the bad sector count is sitting at 394 and seems to be increasing steadily. Nov +128, Dec +194, Jan +70 so far…

The drive is always on but at room temperature and not worked particularly hard, albeit there is 1 surveillance camera recording 24/7.

My question - is this “normal”, should I be worried about it and what courses of action should I take? All guidance helpful…

Thanks a lot.

HI OllieMS,
The warranty for the WD drives varies in different region. We recommended to contact our support team for isolating this issue. Please find information from the below link.

The increasing number of I/O errors and the steadily increasing bad sector count on one of the drives in your Synology NAS indicate potential issues with the drive. While it’s not uncommon for drives to develop some bad sectors over time, a consistent and steady increase could be a cause for concern.

Here are some steps you can take to address the situation:

1. Backup your data: Before taking any further action, it is crucial to ensure that you have a backup of all your important data stored on the NAS. If you haven’t already done so, make sure to back up your data to a separate storage device or the cloud.
  2. Check warranty status: Confirm the warranty status of the drives. You mentioned that the drives have a 3-year guarantee, so check if they are still covered under warranty. If they are, you may be eligible for a replacement if the drive is indeed failing.
  3. Monitor the drive: Keep a close eye on the drive’s performance and error logs. If the bad sector count continues to increase rapidly or if you encounter more frequent I/O errors, it’s advisable to take immediate action.
  4. Run additional diagnostics: In addition to the S.M.A.R.T diagnostic tests, consider running other drive diagnostics provided by the drive manufacturer or specialized software. These tests may provide more detailed information about the drive’s health and help identify any specific issues.
  5. Replace the failing drive: If the drive continues to exhibit problems and is still under warranty, contact the drive manufacturer’s support or the place of purchase to initiate a warranty replacement. If the drive is no longer under warranty, it’s recommended to replace it as soon as possible to avoid the risk of data loss.

Remember, even with a Hybrid RAID configuration and fault tolerance, it’s essential to address a failing drive promptly. Regular backups and monitoring the health of your drives are vital practices to ensure the integrity and availability of your data.