Sharing photos on My Cloud Home

Hello,

I just purchased the My Cloud Home device and I’m confused and frustrated on the way files are shared.

I also have the older My Cloud device and this allows me to share folders by creating users and handle their permissions to see or edit folders. My Cloud creates the users in the system and allows users to see the folders/photos from the app. This works fantastic but the storage is too small so I had to purchase the larger storage in the My Cloud Home version.

The My Cloud Home allows you to share folders by sending a link which opens in the smartphone browser and allows users to see the folders/photos. But I can’t figure out how to allow users to see the folders in the app?

If I want them to acces folders from the app, the My Cloud Home also allows you to share by sending an invitation to cooperate and this makes it possible to access the folders from the app. But then users can also do more things like deleting folders which I don’t want them to be able to.
This way, they also get their own space to store content which I also don’t want when sharing folders with family or others.

So how to get the functionality from the My Cloud device in the new My Cloud Home device?

Thank you, your help is much appreciated.

Henrik
Copenhagen

When sharing a folder though the My Cloud Home website there are 3 dots next to the folder or file, clicking on it gives you some options.

When it comes to sharing you have 2 choice and 2 choices only.

1. Share - Send Link (View Only)
  2. Share - Invite to collaborate

Option 1 allows the person to view the files, but not make any changes to them.
Option 2 allows then to view the files, make changes and add or remove the files.

Those are your option.
Also you can only do this on the website and not via the Z drive.

Thank you. I understand the options, but they are worse than on the My Cloud solution, how is that possible?

Please find my comments below to the options:

When it comes to sharing you have 2 choice and 2 choices only.
1. Share - Send Link (View Only)
Yes, but this link can be used/accessed by anyone, there’s no control of who have access. It’s only family photos, but still don’t like the idea that anyone can use the link. Secondly, the link is only for access in the browser, not in the app.
2. Share - Invite to collaborate
Yes, but this will allow the user to delete photos, which is not great. Why not handle users by permissions, like on My Cloud.

Option 1 allows the person to view the files, but not make any changes to them.
Yes, but the way to view the photos is really not good. You cannot swipe but must press “next” and the photos are not shown in full screen, as the menu options takes up space at the bottom of the photo, this is not good.

Option 2 allows then to view the files, make changes and add or remove the files.
Yes, This allows for proper viewing of the photos in full screen and with swiping, which is great. The photos are only found under the shared menu and are not in the view when you start the app.

So the options are worse than on My Cloud…