Sharespace unit no longer seen on network

Hi, I am helping a friend of mine get to the bottom of problems he is having with his WD Sharespace server.  The share is no longer seen on the network, and running the discovery program does not see the box.  The router says that a cable is connected and the and green and yellow lights are lit on the back of the unit where the network cable plugs in to.  I think that something is amiss with the unit because while all four drives indicator lights come on, the green Power button does not light, and pressing it in does not power off the unit.  I’m tempted to have my friend send the unit back (it’s still under warranty) and get a new box and just put his existing drives into the new unit and see if his array will come up.  This should work, shouldn’t it?  If all drives are moved to a new Sharespace box and put in the same slots as the old?  Also, does the fact the there is no light on the power button (and the fact that pressing it does not turn the unit off) suggest that something is messed up with the box?  We have contacted tech support twice and the replies he gets inticates that they either do not read the email we send or do not understand.  Thanks for any advice.

That depends on the type of RAID that the SS has right now, if it’s a Stripe or a Span then it won’t be possible as far as I know…

I am having the identical experience. I have written tech support but have not yet received an actual reply. I will post whatever advice I get from WD. Good luck

mccullarsj wrote:

Hi, I am helping a friend of mine get to the bottom of problems he is having with his WD Sharespace server.  The share is no longer seen on the network, and running the discovery program does not see the box.  The router says that a cable is connected and the and green and yellow lights are lit on the back of the unit where the network cable plugs in to.  I think that something is amiss with the unit because while all four drives indicator lights come on, the green Power button does not light, and pressing it in does not power off the unit.  I’m tempted to have my friend send the unit back (it’s still under warranty) and get a new box and just put his existing drives into the new unit and see if his array will come up.  This should work, shouldn’t it?  If all drives are moved to a new Sharespace box and put in the same slots as the old?  Also, does the fact the there is no light on the power button (and the fact that pressing it does not turn the unit off) suggest that something is messed up with the box?  We have contacted tech support twice and the replies he gets inticates that they either do not read the email we send or do not understand.  Thanks for any advice.

This may work, however, there are a few things to take into consideration.  The replacement unit MAY be at a different firmware AND flash revision then your original.  You can connect the 4 disks directly to a computer (note what drive comes out of what bay) via SATA and use Fedora Core 14 Live cd to access the volume.