Sharespace recovered with R-Studio

I definitely did not find R Studio was enough to recover files on my corrupt Raid 5.  I am suspicious that all but the smallest files will be “corrupt”.

My 4TB Sharespace NAS (like most on the market I think) utilizes a Linux OS with an additional layer of abstraction called LVM. This LVM allows all kinds of merging and drive bridging but overlays its own directory structure which is completely unintelligible to R Studio. I found that R-Studio will find file stems but inserted LVM metadata will make most recovered files useless.

A couple of cautions from someone who has been there. First, if you can afford it then backup all drives first and experiment on copies. Second, at least for the background information it provides consider reading the tutorial I posted at http://community.wdc.com/t5/Other-Network-Drives/How-To-Recover-files-from-WD-Sharespace-Raid-5-When-the/m-p/483560/highlight/true.

Maybe a simpler solution would work in your situations. Spend time educating yourself. Try the easy steps but only if their initial description is exactly the same as yours and only to the point that you realize your result really is not the same as the authors. The moment you sense you are in the weeds: STOP. If working on your original data you can make it irretrievable!

Recoverying data with a second computer really does work. It was worth the effort for me for my family photos and financials. Hope this helps.