ShareSpace RAID means NOTHING

After a power failure, my NAS disappeared from the network…

I contacted WD support, and in the end they told me, that the OS is corrupted and I have to format ALL four drives, so that the enclosure can rebuild the OS onto the drives…

According to the support guy, there is no other way to force this rebuild of the OS… 

That is totally useless for a NAS, who is the ■■■■■ that did the thinking behind this ??

Has anyone else had any issues like this ? Had a better solution to this issue ?

I really do not want to delete all my drives, I have a lot of data on it …

Kinda

After I did a reset on one of my MBWE NAS it corrupted the password, it was supposed to reset the password to admin/admin but it did not I did not know what to do.  It would have meant  an RMA.  I took the HD out of the enclosure and ran a program call Mybook Rescue - this formatted the drive and re-installed the OS.

At the time I thought how stupid the system was to have everything stored on the hard drive.  at the very minimum you would think you could reinstall the OS from usb thumb stick.

I feel for ya dude.

Me too…I had a drive go bad…replaced it…RAID 5 failed to rebuild, replaced it again, RAID was found to be corrupt, data recovery was $1000 per TB,  even tho they found the data to be 100% recoverable…WD response, tough luck!

Sucked up and got a replacement  4TB Sharespace, worked fine except no CTorrent or FTP…after weeks of  troubleshooting I found, quite by accident, that it had the wrong firmware installed by WD, had to send it back, got a brand new one last week worked great, made the mistake of updating  the firmware on it,  now it’s like being a 1970 dial-up connection…takes 1 hour to transfer a 1.5G file. For 4 months I’ve been messing with this now!

Anybody that buys one of these is nuts, but we’re stuck and WD doesn’t have a clue or worse doesn’t care. They can’t seem to imagine that the issue is theirs.

This is ridiculous, I was hoping that someone might have actually experienced this but found some kind of solution, so its true then that they just don’t give a ■■■■ ?? 

And of course no response from any WD rep … nice…

I’ll definitely try and discourage any/everyone I can find from buying one of these paper weights…

Strongly agree!!! The RAID is totally useless. Sent the whole Sharespace to Data Recovery company. Just for diagnosis cost me $100. Quoted to recovery my data at $3700. It’s ridiculous. Decided to take it back and maybe bury it in a grave.

Lesson learnt: Don’t trust WD and RAID 5 for data backup.

P.S. Was told RAID 5 is only for redundancy, not backup or “Mass storage” (as claimed).

I had recently faced the same problem, the raid 5 suddenly failed and unable to recognize the drives on a 8 TB Sharespace Device.

WD reps adviced that i must reset the drive which means loosing all the data.

The Raid 5 is totally Useless.

Ahmed_Osama wrote:

I had recently faced the same problem, the raid 5 suddenly failed and unable to recognize the drives on a 8 TB Sharespace Device.

WD reps adviced that i must reset the drive which means loosing all the data.

The Raid 5 is totally Useless.

In any case, how would you back up 4G-6G of data at the ShareSpace’s transfer speeds? Life would be too short, surely?

I have created a request to WD in the “ideas” forum:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Other-Ideas/Sharespace-Please-provide-a-tool-to-recover-files-from-a-broken/idi-p/117618

May be if you all vote for it (and extend it with your wishes), WD will reconsider and provide some tools that can help?

Thanks

Matt