ShareSpace and Windows SBS 2003

Any suggestion how to install ShareSpace 4TB on a Windows Small Business Server 2003.  The installation CD lists Windows 2003 as a supported OS but installation is not working.  I also downloaded WD_Discovery_v1.61 but it also did not run on Windows 2003.  Any other options?

The Cd does work on SBS 2003, the problem is Authentication - Kerberos.

I spent a long time on this and WD support had no answer, searched the net only to find this is common with no answer!

So here goes:

For AD authentication of users to work the time on the sharespace and the client computers must be very similar - too far apart and it doesn’t work!

Solution:

Set SBS server as NTP server on the sharesapace. Login script forcing all client computers to use SBS as time server - rediscover and set.

Now everything is on the same time (even if the SBS is wrong!) - kerberos works and the sharespace will now authenticate via AD shares that you have set up perfectly.

This works with all Active Directory and I have tested it across subnets.

Now you have the bonus that if you set SBS to sync time on internet level1 time server the whole network will have the same time within 2 seconds! - seems to sort some other wierd probs!

Contact me if more info needed on the how to.

This will apply to all Samba based connections to windows server.

I did not connect to WD ShareSpace using the SBS 2003 server.  I did use a Windows XP Pro machine at first and ShareSpace was detected.  I did have to disable my antivirus temporarily and provide a Windows firewall exception when the message popped up.

I did have a problem joining the domain though.  The Active Directory must be in 2003 Native mode as I found out through an online support FAQ.  I originally had it in 2000 Compatibility but since SBS 2003 is my only Windows server, I didn’t see a problem proceeding with the upgrade.  The migration was painless (zero time involved) and I was able to join the ShareSpace right after.

Note that when you’re accessing the shares you _must_ use the IP address of the ShareSpace to map them.  For example, don’t use \sharespace\public but rather use \192.168.0.10\public.  I don’t know why the former doesn’t work but even the WD ShareSpace CD and wizard maps to its IP address.  I’m guessing it doesn’t support the NetBIOS protocol.

-Chris

DCCL_Support wrote:

I did not connect to WD ShareSpace using the SBS 2003 server.  I did use a Windows XP Pro machine at first and ShareSpace was detected.  I did have to disable my antivirus temporarily and provide a Windows firewall exception when the message popped up.

I did have a problem joining the domain though.  The Active Directory must be in 2003 Native mode as I found out through an online support FAQ.  I originally had it in 2000 Compatibility but since SBS 2003 is my only Windows server, I didn’t see a problem proceeding with the upgrade.  The migration was painless (zero time involved) and I was able to join the ShareSpace right after.

Note that when you’re accessing the shares you _must_ use the IP address of the ShareSpace to map them.  For example, don’t use \sharespace\public but rather use \192.168.0.10\public.  I don’t know why the former doesn’t work but even the WD ShareSpace CD and wizard maps to its IP address.  I’m guessing it doesn’t support the NetBIOS protocol.

-Chris

The server needs to be forested to 2003 mode as well.