Sharespace 8TB & APC UPS experiences. Anyone can help?

Hi All,

I am writing this in dispair after three months++ struggling with a Sharespace 8TB and APC UPS and WDC Tech Support (which proved very poor so far).

A customer of ours explicitly asked for a WDC NAS to use as a media server and we provided him the Sharespace 8TB.

Problems aroused when we tried to make it work with a UPS.

I think everybody trying to make a Sharespace work with a UPS knows that WDC KB #2559 lists only out-of-production IBM and APC UPS.

We tried both a APC BR900GI and an APC SMT750I, but none of them worked:

the Sharespace always identified the UPS as “unknown” and could not communicate over the USB connection, hence no graceful shut down.

We already opened a ticket with WDC Tech Support, even asking for detailed USB communication protocol requirements to give to APC support (which is proving very willing to help), but all we were told was to reference to KB #2559, as with a broken record.

Does anybody have SUCCESSFUL INTEGRATION case histories with APC UPS?

Thanks

filippo

What release of the firmware does it have? The UPS feature got broken and is recently fixed in the current firmware rev 2.2.91.

Hey,

Why don’t you make your life simple and buy an older model of the APC UPS, refurbished with new batteries and a solid warranty? You won’t need to reinvent the wheel and it will work perfectly.

That’s what we did for our clients who had similar problems.

Please verify that you are on the latest firmware 2.2.91.  There were some recognition issues in older versions of the firmware that were resolved in 2.2.9x

All,

thanks for your replies and suggestions,

As regards FW, it is still 2.2.9.

I eagerly read the Releas Notes chapter regarding version 2.9.9.1 but found no reference to UPS.

Anyway, after your reply I noticed many people are conferming UPS management working better, so we will update the firmware and see what happens.

Regarding using an older APC version

Thanks, we did not think of it as an option, we will keep it in mind for other situations (I do not think I will give WDC a second chance… three++ months without a valid answer from tech support is far beyond my patience).

Third option, just to let you know:

APC tech support proposed to RMA the UPS and send us the older model, claimed compatible by WDC.

Please let me underline again how smart and helpful APC Customer Service is:

in order to help a customer of theirs, APC is offering to RMA a perfecly working apparatus and looked among their distributors for one who still had an out-of-production UPS.

Please do judge by yourself the different approaches…

Thank you again for your answers, I will let you know how this will end.

filippo

Just updated firmware to version 2.02.93 (4/12/11).

APC BACK-UPS CS 500VA USB/SERIAL 230V [BK500EI] is successfully determined by UPS manager, at least the name of the UPS, battery status and lifetime are displayed correctly. On this week I will try to emulate powercut.

:smiley:

Hi,

thank you for the god news !

Tomorrow will be at the customer’s to try and update the FW and will let you know the results.

best

We have added new models to our compatibility list of APC devices with the 2.2.93 firmware version:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2559/

Approximately once a day I get the following message in the system log:

… daemon.crit apcupsd[805]: UPS battery must be replaced.

The UPS unit is very new.

What does it mean?

Can you try to power cycle your sharespace and UPS?

We do not parse the errors from the unit, we simply pass the information from the UPS in raw form.  I would adivse plugging in the device to a computer to see if the problem occurs there, but you are likely looking at a failed UPS.

Brandon_D wrote:

Can you try to power cycle your sharespace and UPS?

We do not parse the errors from the unit, we simply pass the information from the UPS in raw form.  I would adivse plugging in the device to a computer to see if the problem occurs there, but you are likely looking at a failed UPS.

What do you mean under “to power cycle”?

Sure, I will connect UPS to my PC and see what error messages it gives.

However, what errors could trigger such error message in system logs?

the error message gets passed through directly from the UPS, which means something on the UPS generated that error.  Power cycle means power off and on.

Brandon_D wrote:

the error message gets passed through directly from the UPS, which means something on the UPS generated that error.  Power cycle means power off and on.

Yesterday I have a long telephone talk to APC Support staff. We checked various items: unit manufactured date, hardware self-test, software self-test. Everything has confirmed that the unit is operating correctly without errors.

Maybe the current unit firmware is too new and doesn’t match to  apcupsd?

By the way, do we work with most up-to-date version of   apcupsd?

Hi Everybody,

just to let you know that with FW 2.02.93 the Sharespace DID recognize the APC, at last.

It took ONLY four months for the APC guys to fix the UPS detection…

Again, thank you all for your support and suggestions.

best regards

filippo