Shares on different ip

I have the following network configuration: modem → switch → (WAN) WiFi router.

Modem and switch have ip 192.168.1.xx; WiFi router have ip 192.168.0.xx

I have a WDTV Live connected to my Wi Fi router (ip 192.168.0.xx) and a MBL 3T connected to the switch (ip 192.168.1.xx). Both are on same workgroup.

The problem is that the WDTV Live cannot see the MBL! Being SMB compatible, shouldn’t the WDTV able to see the NAS?

I tried to enable also the TwonkyMedia, but no result.

They are different networks so it’s not surprising they can’t see each other. The easiest way to fix this problem is to use the wifi router as a simple access point. Turn off DHCP in your wifi router, then take the cable out of the wifi router WAN port and put it in one of the LAN ports. Then reconnect the WDTV (and anything else that uses the wifi) and they will be assigned a 192.168.1.x IP.

That was the first thing I tried.

The problem is that the modem somehow is limiting internet connectivity to devices.

Meaning, if I set all the network to 192.168.1.xx most of my devices will not able to connect to internet, only some.

I was hoping, as it happen with my Apple MBA, that being Samba compatible the WDTV could see the NAS on different ip.

piccomi wrote:

That was the first thing I tried.

The problem is that the modem somehow is limiting internet connectivity to devices.

The modem shouldn’t have anything to do with it. Modems don’t assign IP addresses.  the first router attached to the modem should be the one dishing out IP addresses…

The vast majority of modems are also routers.

My Bad!! I didn’t specify that I use an EPON modem/router.

The modem router/router assigns ip to every devices but do not give internet access to all of them.

After hours of searching, I may have found a solution; to set the modem/router as a bridge to let the WiFi router directly get connected to internet. The problem is, that I do not have access to the modem/router because my ISP do not allow it (I am in China!!!).

Anyway, this coming week I will make experiments.

What I still don’t understand is why the WDTV cannot see the MBL on different ip, same subnet and same workgroup.

Could there be some parameter to tweak either in the WDTV or MBL?