Share permissions won't stick on migrated drives

I had a MyCloud EX4, and it died to the point of being unable to shutdown, wouldn’t accept network connections of any type anymore, etc, and I freaked at having 6TB of my data unavailable, so I just bought the DL4100 and swapped the drives into it. Display mentioned “Roaming,” and then everything came right up.

The problem is that existing shares from the EX4 won’t allow me to set permissions for the DL4100 users. The UI claims I now have Write permission, but if I click to another user and then back, it turns out I have No Access again. I solved this for my personal share by just creating a new Share and then moving all the files from under the old share over to it.

The problem is the TimeMachineBackup folder. I’ve got backup data in there from two different machines, and I don’t want the risk of it all going away if I rename the folder, reboot the NAS to have it re-create the TimeMachineBackup folder, and then move stuff from the old folder into it. How can I just “bless” the new users to have access to the old shares? And have the UI resume working?

Thanks!
…Andrew

Hello, I am not 100% sure how the RAID roaming works on a different enclosure, however it could be that as the enclosure is no the owner of he RAID might have issues while setting up permissions for the share. I would try to get the data out and recreate the RAID in this enclosure, other than that I have no idea.

I realize this is an old discussion, but just wanted to share our experience with this same problem. We replaced a DL4100 which became unreliable with a new PR4100 and just moved the three WD40EFRX drives from the DL4100 to the corresponding drive bays in the PR4100 and when we booted up the PR4100 and after it completed almost 9 hours of RAID Parity Checking, the RAID 5 array was intact and the shared folders and files from the DL4100 were all still there. When I first logged on to the dashboard, it prompted to either accept the import/acceptance of the migrated array, or treat as new and lose everything. Of course, we lost the user accounts and other configuration settings that were set up on the DL4100, but the small business has less than 20 users so not a problem to recreate. We didn’t try to import the DL4100 configuration that we had exported prior, because WD tech support cautioned us that wouldn’t work. As we recreated the user accounts and assigned permissions to the shared folders, we found that those permission settings didn’t stick. Then we accidentally discovered that, if we changed each shared folder to Public, then rebooted the PR4100, upon rebooting folder permissions did stick. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Thank you, MCSELEMONS -
Just transfered my RAID 5 array from EX4 to PR4100 and experienced the same issue. One would have thought WD would have fixed that in the past 6 months, but seems they didn’t. Your solution still works, and I am very thankful you posted it here!

Leiti:

I’m glad it helped you. Thanks for your feedback.

Mike