Share internet with WD TV from Mac

I’m trying to share the internet connection from AirPort with my WD TV trough an ethernet cable, but as soon as i connect the two, I lose the internet connection on my Mac, thus there is no internet to share. The Mac does not disconnect from the router, I just can’t get online.

I have no idea what to make of this, and I’m wondering if there’s anyone who can help me with this? If it makes any difference, I’m running Leopard (10.5.8).

Hi there, if your Airport is the one that just works as a modem and not the one that works as a router then that’s your problem. It is very likely that your Airport is not giving different IP addresses to each device.

Danforth wrote:

I’m trying to share the internet connection from AirPort with my WD TV trough an ethernet cable, but as soon as i connect the two, I lose the internet connection on my Mac, thus there is no internet to share. The Mac does not disconnect from the router, I just can’t get online.

I have no idea what to make of this, and I’m wondering if there’s anyone who can help me with this? If it makes any difference, I’m running Leopard (10.5.8).

I am sorry but I do not understand anything about your message. I had my mac and the livehub connected through airport but what was your set-up?

I used the airport express to connect to my modem via wifi. I plugged in an ethernet cable into the airport and into an ethernet-switch. the computer and the hub were also on the switch. What was your set-up?

Please tell it and maybe someone can help. Cause now I understand yoo have an ethernet cable from the hub to the mac and that you are using your computers airport. I this right? If so you must enable your computer to share the airport connection for the hub.

Also you must enable your modem to give out IP addresses or set the airport to hand out IP addresses if the modem can not act as a router.

lemonkid wrote:
Cause now I understand yoo have an ethernet cable from the hub to the mac and that you are using your computers airport. I this right?

This is correct.

lemonkid wrote:
If so you must enable your computer to share the airport connection for the hub.

Also you must enable your modem to give out IP addresses or set the airport to hand out IP addresses if the modem can not act as a router.

I’ve already done both of these things.

did you ever get this resolved?

I’m on a mac pro 10.6.8 with a wd tv media hub trying to share internet via ethernet… tho I’ve got the added networking challenge that my mac pro is connected to a netgear range extender off a belkin n router about 40 yards away… so if anyone has a thought on how to get THIS configuration to work, please let me know…

I’m reading about hardware overheating issues right now… sooo many variables!