Share disappeared

For no obvious reason all my shares on my MyCloudMirror 4TB,setup up as 2xJBODs, disappeared. I had done nothing to cause this no firmware update etc…

I did a System restore and all the shares except one reappeared along with data. The missing share named John was empty.

I used DiskInternals Linux Reader software to see if anything could be recovered. No sign of the missing data except the folder .wdmc actually contained a share(?) John2 which had all the expected data folders for the share John but their files were designated as transcoded files and there was nothing to recover.

Any suggestions?

Solved. Despite all the advice here that you need to remove disk and attach to PC/Mac and either get a post grad qualification in Linux or use 3rd party software to try and find lost data there is a much simpler method which may work for you.

I tried 3rd party software and poking around with SSH to no avail. I then ran FileZilla FTP on my PC laptop connected to the WD and poked around until I found a folder called John which was the disappeared share, right clicked and downloaded. A few hours later the share folder was on my laptop intact.

Hope this helps someone else.

John B