Share by sending link - "unknown error"

My issue:

I’m running a mycloud EX2 with firmware fully up-to-date. At www.mycloud.com…when signed in and trying to “share” a folder by sending a link to a email recipient, I “sometimes” (and I stress the word “sometimes”) get the following web error message: “Unknown Error. Retry your last operation. If the error persists, contact WD suppport for assistance (200000).” And the link doesn’t get sent and is not shared. I can keep trying – for days – then all of a sudden it works. So it works sometimes.

Figuring this out is critical as my wife has people waiting on the files she is trying to share with them. They paid for the files.

It’s very annoying since when it isnt working – it seems like it wont work for days or sometimes longer. Then other times, this function of sending links to my files magically starts working again. So I dont know if the problem is on my end OR if the problem is with the website (on WD’s end).

More background:

I did contact WD Support on this matter and described the issue. The first thing they did was tell me to do the following:

"First open a web browser, and on the browser’s URL type in yougetsignal.com. Select port forwarding tester and verify the port status of ports 80 and 443 if any of this ports show to be closed, we recommend to contact either your internet service provider or the router manufacturer for further assistance on enabling port forwarding under the router’s UI, both ports require to be opened under TCP and UDP, both protocols. There are additional ports which need to be opened for different operations, 25 for notifications and to be able to send e-mails from the drive, and 465 which is required in order to be able to share links to specific files remotely. "

So…I did that. When I wrote back, I indicated that ports 80 and 443 were open. And 25 and 465 were closed. So next, they said the obvious of "run a test with a different browser and open ports 25 and 465 under the router’s user interface. "

So I did that (I hope). I am not too sure on exactly how to Port Forward correctly on my Arris DG860. So I googled it, watched youtube videos, read manuals, and did what I think was right. I added a Virtual Server and added Inbound port of 25-25 on my internal LAN 192.168.0.100 (which is the IP of my EX2) and listed the local port as 25-25 also. I also did this for Port 465 (which was closed).

After I did all that – I tested again. NO change. So I UN-DID everything above (since I wasn’t sure if it was accurate or not since I don’t know how to open ports or forward ports exactly. I’m new to it.).

I simply gave up from frustration. Waited 2 weeks. AND THEN the functionality returned. I was able to email links out again. UGH! This lead me to believe that it, again, appears to be their issue and now mine (I’m probably wrong). So I told support it started working again so they closed the support ticket.

So…here we are about a month later…and right NOW: I am unable to email our links to shared files again. If I test, now, all ports are showing as closed. 80 and 443 are no longer open. All four (4) are closed.

I guess it could be possible that my ISP are blocking 80 and 25 since I read that those are very commonly blocked by residential ISPs (but that doesnt explain why when I ran my first test that port 80 was open).

I have followed WD Support Answer 14885 here (http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=14885) How to configure port forwarding on a My Cloud EX2 device. I changed 80 to 8082 and 443 to 8443. …That hasn’t changed anything. I’m still get the error message and cant send links.

I’m at a loss.

Any comments or suggestions on next steps to resolve this issue?

Because your using an EX2 you may want to post your question/issue to the dedicated EX2 subforum where people more familiar with the EX2 may be able to assist. This subforum (My Cloud) is generally for the single bay My Cloud units.

https://community.wd.com/c/network-attached-storage/wd-my-cloud-ex2

That said, have you tried configuring your EX2 with a static IP address, and configured the remote access ports to manual (example 80 and 443)? When you configure the ports to manual make sure to configure your router to pass those same port numbers (otherwise known as “port forwarding”) to the My Cloud. Try using alternate port numbers like 8080 and 4443.