Share Access Issues

Using the supplied WD software. You do not need to supply any parameters because that software locates the Cloud Drive on its own. This totally outside any other access methods.

My WDMyCloud is access in the usual ways for routine access (e.g. via the network share). I too can access all the usual functions as a registered user but what I reported on is a non-registered user logged on to Windows as a user without any admin rights and who is not a WDMyCloud registered user. In that scenario this user has full access to all the shares using [WD My Cloud.exe] which is a BIG security hole!

If a forum admin would like to elevate this to a new topic, I’m all for it.

Paul

EDIT: I should have said “access to the Safepoints share & public shares” as I was chasing down an earlier report of FTP access to Safepoint data. This is now confirmed that Safepoints are NOT private shares!

Ah, the old ‘Public Safepoint’ issue. Been around for a long time, I think; or at least, I’ve seen it reported before.

I suspect the problem is that, in order to perform a Safepoint, the MC needs full access to all shares. And the problem is that it then copies the files to the Safepoint with those full access rights, rather than the original access rights. d’oh!

Sometimes I’m really glad I don’t use WD software to do backups…

1 Like