SFTP Setup

Does anyone know how to connect to the MyCloud via sftp without using the root user? WinDAV using the WDMyCloud.com is dead slow for me it takes about 3 minutes just to go into or make a new folder or 2 hours just to upload a 3mb file. I’m able to mount sftp drives using NetDrive2 but for security purposes I’d rather not have to use the built in root user but rather a user with a lower set of permissions.

Additionaly, the issue is not my internet connection as I stream large video files using plex media server in and out of the house.

Thanks in advance,

Agustin

Warranty is not an issues seeing as to how I only have about a couple weeks of coverage left at best.

Theagustin wrote:

Warranty is not an issues seeing as to how I only have about a couple weeks of coverage left at best.

Are you sure you have a WD My Cloud? The default warranty term is 2 years while the NAS was released in October 2013.

Yes I’m sure, I had a MyBookLive **bleep** out on me and I refused the replacement they sent me as it didn’t have twonky installed (apparently it was removed from the firmware). So a second RMA was made agreement being that I would get a MyCloud with the remaining coverage that was left on the MyBookLive.

I figured it out so I’m posting the solution for anyone thats interested. I’m doing this because the WDMyCloud.com website uses WinDAV but its SLLLOOOW!! So I’m mounting my MyCloud as a system drive out side the house and for security purposes I didn’t feel right using the root user.

1. open putty 

2. type and execute

sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

3. Scroll down to the line that says “AllowUsers root”

4. add a space and your username to the end of the line.

Example: AllowUsers root agustin

1. Press Ctrl+O, Enter , Ctrl+X

2. Now type and execute the following line to refresh or “restart” the ssh service.

sudo service ssh restart

your user should now have ssh access minus root permissions