Several issues with subs, photo quility etc

Hi everyone

I’ve just gotten a TV Live box and out of the box - it was a crappy experience…

1. I updated the FW and everything slowed down to an uacceptable speed. I resat to factory settings and thinks got a whole lot better. The funny thing is that even after 3 resets the device still lists as if it’s updated to FW 1.12.14…

2. A lot of the subs for my movies don’t work any longer… It’s not a specific type of sub file that doesn’t work - it’s pretty random from movie to movie…

3. The photo quility is abosolutely awfull… In most cases the photo is something you would expect from a 1. gen phone-camera ca. 1999! Only a small portion of the photos are displyed correctly…

4. How do I make the device play a several movie files in succession? It’s pretty annoying to have to press play every 5-10min when watching “small” cartoons or possibly every 30secs or so when watching home videos…

5. After resetting I cannot add or remove items from my favorit services…

Does anyone have any surgestions as to what I could do to solve all or any ot the above issues?

Best regards

Morten

1. firmware isn’t a setting, thus is unaffected by a reset.

2. Havent heard of any issues like that…

3). Don’t know why that would be…  Mine look great. Use the screen capture feature to take a screenshot and post an example.

1. Press PLAY on the first one, and the rest of the folder will play out.

2. Why not?  What happens if you try?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

1. firmware isn’t a setting, thus is unaffected by a reset.
  1. Havent heard of any issues like that…

3). Don’t know why that would be…  Mine look great. Use the screen capture feature to take a screenshot and post an example.

1. Press PLAY on the first one, and the rest of the folder will play out.
  1. Why not?  What happens if you try?
  1. If I restore the device to factory settings - souldn’t the FW be reversed’?

2. **bleep** :cry:

3. Big pixels. Very chunky…

4. GREAT! I’ve been using the OK button

5. Nothing happens…

Factory default does not reverse firmware updates. However there is a procedure to rollback the firmware if you feel the need.

1. Big Pixels Very Chunky ?

What connection are you using ?  (HDMI is the best connection for picture quality … or course though you need to setup the Audio/Video settings.  Page172 of the User Manual)

1. Ok, let me be more specific.   

You find an item you want to add to favorites.

You press OPTIONS.

You select FAVORITE from the menu.

what do you do next to conclude that nothing happened?

Oh wait a sec.  I’ll bet you’re using MEDIA SERVER Instead of MEDIA LIBRARY?

Ups - accedently hit the solved bottum scrolling the page on my phone…

Yes - I’m using MEDIA SERVER. I have all my media on a NAS. But that didn’t create any problems on my AC Ryan HD Mini.

I’m using a HDMI cable - but the funny thing is that some of the pictures are just fine…

•  Video Output = HDMI(1080p 60Hz), RBG auto and 8 bit

Lets say I want to add Picasa to my list of favorites. I locate Picasa in the ALL section. I press OPTIONS and nothing happens

As to the photos –  It’s because your media server is sending a THUMBNAIL instead of the full resolution image.

In order to use FAVORITES, you need to enable MEDIA LIBRARY.    At a minimum, you’ll need to install a flash drive or other HD to the USB port.

Hurray! I got all the issues fixed. Change the “input” to LIBRARY. Subs are working. Favorites are working. Nice. A big thanks to you!

Now I have a new question for you. On the home screen. If I enter the VIDEOS folder I get two options of subfolders which all contain videos. But when I enter the PHOTOS or MUSIC folder on the home screen I get subfolders with either music, photos or videos… Is there a way to specify which folder is to be opened as when you make a shortcut in Windows?

Mortenvs wrote:

Is there a way to specify which folder is to be opened as when you make a shortcut in Windows?

If you’re still using Media Server, then it’s up to the media server.

The WD does request a “Container Type” when you open a category…

Basically, if you open Videos, the WD tells the Media Server “I’m requesting videos.”   

But not all media servers will adhere to that request – it’ll show whatever it wants to show.

You’re basically stumbling across all the reasons why I have VERY little use for Media Servers – I just stick with Network Shares.    The only thing I use media servers for is music streaming, and I use Twonky on a MyBook Live – and it obeys all the container requests.

Ahh, okay then. Not that big a deal, but just kinda silly really…

In all my happiness, thinking - great! It finally works. I’m now back to having an EXTREMELY slow and unstable Netflix. Problems connecting and problems loading materiale… Now what?

I had the divice reversed to factory standard once again - bingo - everything is back to the issues in my first post… But hey - Netflix runs like a dream… It’s not Apple TV-smooth but it’s okay…

Seems like someone (read: WD) is promissing a whole lot more than this thing can actually do. If you alter one thing, you will no doubt make somethin else go bad. Feels like this device has had it’s corners cut way to deep, and along the way WD forgot to tone down it’s list of features…

After 24 hours of fiddeling and it’s still not working anywhere near proberly. Just not good enough!

Thank you for your help with my problems. Just think I’m going to tosh this piece of *** in the bin…

The low res blocky pictures would be down to your media server not automatically choosing “WDTV Live” as the renderer.

My music and pictures are served by DLNA (media server) by an Iomega NAS with an old v6 of Twonky, this does not automatically recognize my SMP and leaves the renderer set as “generic” and the results are low res pictures, enter the renderer as a “WDTV Live” in Twonky settings and pictures are full res.

I am finding photo’s very blocky under the Flickr App.

With the Picasa, no problem, stunning images on Picasa.

Tried all different screen sizes and settings, no change, unless you choose the original size and picture is good, but it’s so small, it’s basically pointless. (this is only on the Flickr App)

This Flickr App needs recoding / reworking to allow better quality pics. It’s like it’s recoding / downscaling the picture to load faster???