Setup of external drive

Ok, noob qestion, what is the best way to set up my movies on my external that will be also added to my hub. should I keep them just on the root directory or each movie in their own folder.

Thanks.

Depends on you really. :wink:

The easiest option that will allow for meta data/movie sheets…although I will admit I am still trying to figure that part out as well.

The easiest is to have them all in the root of the drive. Some prefer genre folders, but avoid individual folders for each film as it ruins the movie sheet look and is a pain in the backside.

The only downside to all in the root is it slows browsing down a bit, but I find fancy themes and movie sheets unusable myself as it slows things to a crawl the nicer you have it.

so movies sheets slows it down…i am looking at having something to actually read about the movie vs just seeing a file name show up…what are your suggestions than to help with this.

mcabral wrote:

so movies sheets slows it down…i am looking at having something to actually read about the movie vs just seeing a file name show up…what are your suggestions than to help with this.

I’ve tried all the various moviesheets and while they look really nice, I tired of the moviesheets with the backgrounds that take too long to load. I use JSMOD theme that is simple and doesn’t require alot from Thumbgen. I have my movies in genre folders and each thumbnail shows a grab from the movie, the cover and all the movie information. No slow-loading background shots, but who cares. I want the movie info in front of me. Looks very nice.

I personally have a large collection of tv series & movies. I do not use any particular theme, just the original setup with latest firmware. I keep my videos on the Small Grid View and filtered by folders; I don’t want flash, just wanna see everything easier. I use genre folders, ie Comedy, Drama, Action, Horror, Kids, Westerns, Romance, Crime, TV Shows and New for recently added movies. Inside these folders, I do have some other folders to group sets, ie American Pie, Mission Impossible, etc, but I have none of the movies in their own folder due to it meaning that is one extra click and it is not needed. I let the WD grab the metadata for the movies, and I use WDTVHubGen to grab the metadata for tv episodes.