Setting up using an NTFS drive

I just bought an EX2 and an 8 TB Red. I’m not interesting using it as a RAID drive, just a media server.

I have a 6 TB RED on my Windows computer that I want to add as the second drive. I sorta assumed I could just insert it and the EX2 would be able to read it, but I’ve seen no evidence of NTFS compatibility (even though Linux supports it). Is this true?

I can copy all the files from the 6 TB to the 8 TB across the network, but what happens when I add it to the EX2? Does it get re-formatted? If so, how is it added as a Share? If I add a Share, can I specify the other drive? The instructions are not very clear on this.

Hi donn,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en
The link below will allow you to call support.

Doesn’t seem to be much “community” going on here, so I thought I’d continue the saga myself. I installed the 8 TB drive and ran the setup. I couldn’t figure out the purpose of the little plastic tab that you attach to the drive. Again, no explanation in the docs, but I attached it. Setup said I needed to format the drive, so I formatted as a JBOD drive. When finished, the drive immediately show up on my Windows computer without having to fight with Windows. I turned on the TV and it also immediately saw it as a DLNA device, so I was impressed. I haven’t tried watching a 1080p movie yet. I started copying the files from my 6 TB drive over the network. Boy, this is going to take a while, so I removed the hard drive from the computer and attached it to one of the USB ports using a cradle. Nope, it didn’t see it at all. Tried rebooting the EX2, nope, can’t see the drive out there. So I installed it back into my computer and started copying files again. It will probably take about a week to get everything over there.