Setting up RAID 1 on Windows 7 (64 bit)

A few hours of effort ago I unpackaged my newly purchased My Book Studio Edition II and plugged it into my 64 bit Windows 7 PC.

The first thing I wanted to do was set it up in RAID 1 mode. I managed to figure out I couldn’t do that while using the eSata cable, so I now have it plugged into a USB port.

Trying to follow the instructions in the manual, I went to use the WD Drive Manager only to discovered it wasn’t installed.

So, I downloaded the installer and attempt to use it.

Everytime I try to install the WD Drive Manager I get the following error:

“The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, of if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.”

I’ve checked a few things that might be causing the Windows Installer Service to not function, but wasn’t able to find anything wrong. And the WD Driver Manager is the only thing that has this problem, other programs seem to install just fine.  

Has anyone else had this problem? 

I’ve run out of ideas and would appreciate advice.

Check the software requirements for the Drive Manager. You may need some things updated like Adobe Flash and network framework 3.5. I know those need to be up to date for Smartware. Also try disabling your AV softwae while installing.

Joe

1 Like

Documentation lists no software requirements for the drive manager.

Turning off my antivirus software did not seem to help.

Attempting to update Adobe Flash just got me a message saying that my browser already had an up to date version.

Installing network framework 3.5 didn’t seem to help. 

To take it one step further, I attempted to install network framework 4.0 which failed, but gave a different error message leading to me deleting and recreating the windows installer service, allowing me to successfuly install network framework 4.0

Unfortunately, it did not let me successfully install the WD Drive Manager, though it did give me a different error message.

Now when I attempt to install the Drive Manager it says “WD Drive Manager (x64) setup ended prematurely because of an error.”

I looked in the event viewer to try to figure out what that error was, but the message didn’ t seem to help.

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PnPDriverImportError
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: x64
P2: 00000032
P3: WDCSAM.inf
P4: 422991454cb076e9b856c21bbf99af2b82317eda
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
D:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_x64_1292d36d9749d528dbce0caa974927b1cdda199_15f53449

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: bf14b240-8059-11e1-83e0-d8d227dbbeb0
Report Status: 4