Setting up an ftp connection

I’m putting a checkmark in the box called “ftp”.  Is there anything else I need to do like maybe to my router or something in order to get an ftp site working?

Does the mybook live automatically give my ftp site a hostname?  If so what name hostname does it give it? Is the user name and password same as for my admin?

Would the folders act the same way as pretty much any folder?  I am going to put the ftp folders in the “my pictures” folder on my book live.  I’m doing this in the hopes that I can use wd photos to view the pictures from my ipad remotely and see thumbnail previews.  Am I really going to be able to see these photos in the ftp folders the way I want to? 

The reason I’m doing this roundabout way of remotely transfering files is cause I can set up an automatic backups using a program called sync back directly into the “my pictures” folder via ftp.  I know smartware won’t let me automatically backup to that particular folder I have to put everything into in order to view thumbnail previews with my photos.

Thanks.

Is there anything else I need to do like maybe to my router or something in order to get an ftp site working?

Only if you’re expecting to connect to it from OUTSIDE your home network, in which case, yes, you’d need to enable Port Forwarding.

Does the mybook live automatically give my ftp site a hostname?

No.

Am I really going to be able to see these photos in the ftp folders the way I want to? 

Well, since “FTP Folders” are just “Folders,” as long as you’re putting the photos in Public/Shared Pictures, then yes.

1 Like

Oh good.

How do I get a hostname for my ftp site?  Thanks a lot.  I think finally I can get a system that can work for me.

You can connect via your internet IP on your router, however, it might change unless you have an static IP from your ISP.

Best solution is to go with DDNS, plenty of free services out there, you also have to make sure your router supports DDNS.

1 Like

Thanks a lot.  Boy, this is complicated.  Oh well, guess I’m learning a lot. 

BTW, not sure what you need FTP for, but FTP is not a secure protocol. So via internet, not recommended if you are transfering sensitive data.

For that, SCP/SFTP is recommended, however, yes, some learning and basic Linux commands are necesessary.

Thanks.  I’ve decided to give up on the ftp idea.  Tried using filezilla to set up sftp.  Just couldn’t get things to work after spending an obsene amount of time.  Oh well, guess I’ll stick to local backups.