Setting Groups Permissions

I just upgraded to the DL4100. I have a couple of groups I can see using as I set up my users. I’m confused by how that works though? If I set the Group permission, does that overwrite the user’s permissions panel? And if I set an individual users permissions different from the group permissions will that give the individual user access to additional shares?

Hello, the group permissions allow you to give several users the same permissions to safe time, however if you go into the users permissions and deny access to a particular share then this will take precedence and will not let the user access the share that you setup.

Thank you for the response, but I’m still not understanding the usefulness then. The reason I ask is because I set up this user:

With default settings of everything denied. And he’s part of this group:

So does the user wookie, have access or not? If not then each user I create I have to set the access read/write then I might as well not even have groups…

Hi, it will not have access, on a network environment, deny/not allow will always take precedence over allow, no matter if the deny is in the group or the user.

The reason why I would use the groups is if I have to setup several user that work in the same department, and will have the same permissions.

Thank you again! Really I appreciate the response. I understand the idea of roles and how I’d use them for users. I’ll have about 15-20 users, and if I can get it set up right 2 or 3 permissions levels.

Maybe I’m not setting up my users correctly then? Because I had the group created first, then I created the user and by default the user has all on deny. Which if I understand you correctly means he has no access, which requires that I touch each individuals access rights. After I create the user do I make the access match the group, and if I change a share to deny for the group it’ll update all the users of that group?

Is there a specific way to create the user to follow the group?

Hi. Really no idea what I’m doing , sorry , can’t even find how to post new topic. I’ve got a mycloud 4tb nas and set myself up on it. And now set my wife and niece up in it. But when I go on there log in they can click my name and see everything I’ve dloaded , I’m trying to put items so they can view some but keep some
Of my private stuff under my name so they can’t view it,
Love the device and its purpose is great. I’m just really new to it all and have no idea ,
Thanks
Mike

Hi Brad

Did you get any solution yet?
I have the same problem… :frowning:

On wy WD my Cloud Miror are abaout 15 Users and 5 Groups. I will get the permission to the Groups and not to the Users.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Martin,

I really don’t have any solution, I’ve just been giving users a group, and individually adjusting their user permissions. It’s an extra step, but I couldn’t get it to work any other way.

Good luck!

just for mentioning if you have files that shouldnt be visible for everyone… if you do backups of those private shares (permission for certain groups) using external usb drive attached to the nas and have dlna turned on on your nas, those “private” files (not for certain groups) on the external usb are suddenly public to anyone in your local network.