Sentinel DX4000 Network Connection

Good Morning,

My network connecting was limited… so, my idea was to disable the connecton and re-enable it, but to my surprise, it dropped my remote connection and has lost it’s IP. I have powered it off at the switch (shut down) hoping that rebooting would correct the issue… but no connection… How do I access it. ???

Any and all heelp would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

read this thread.  specially the post about plugging in a keyboard and enabling it

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Sentinel-Products/Network-connection-disabled-I-am-outstanding/m-p/576833#M1833

Gramps,

Gramps,

Glad to see your still on top of things. I have read the posts and will try those things when I can get to a place which sells usb nics, the one I have isn’t recognized ( 1 Gig j5 Create USB 3.0), so I will have to try a cheaper intel or another standard brand the server might have built in. All the monitors I have are DVI and the keyboards are standard PS2 plug.

Stay Healthy and Have Fun,

Bob

Gramps,

Once before you had said everything is contained on the HD’s, is this also the case, I do have another box and if it is in the hardware (the more I write this the less I believe it is hardware), I can just switch boxes.

Bob

No the OS is on the hard drives and it is disabled in the OS so swaping boxes will not help.  If you had another box that did work though it would be good to practice keystrokes on or see if a usb nic worked.

Vinett suggested a usb wireless but that would not work as you have to tell it to connect :frowning:

Get a cheap usb keyboard while you are shopping I like that idea best

ctrl-alt-del type password press enter

then follow the other dudes instructions

if you get off on keystrokes/fail… one quick press of the power button should start a gracefull shutdown.  we really don’t want to pull the plug on the raid aray

As a last resort you could do the factory reset and select keep my data.  Folks have said it works, I have just never gotten around to trying it

1 Like

oh, I guess you had the nics teamed, as in you can’t just move the cable to the other hole?

Gramps,

They must team automatically, I tried plugging into the other port but no go. I left a message out on MS forum asking what specific drivers for the usb-ehthernet are built-in to Server 2008 R2 so I have a fighting chance to purchase one that will work. No response yet. Will any usb monitor work in the rear ports of the Sentinel.

Thanks,

Bob

Gramps,

Thank you for all your input; as of this morning I have had a chance to drive 1 hour+ to purchase a keyboard and a monitor both being USB. So I went ahead and did a factory reset forgetting I would have to reinstall all the updates, connector software, server name/password …etc. But that’s life, I am only hoping all the data is in tact as I asked it to preserve my data. I could not get anyone on MS forum to tell me what USB-Ethernet drives were built into Server 2008 R2, they just told me to post it on Technet and/or MSDN. After I post this, I will go back and state it was solved so you can add to your trunk of keychains, maybe they need to up the ante maybe to a car or a boat or something.

Thanks Again for all your expert help as always,

Bob

Thanks,

Keep us posted