Scraping TV show that uses year instead of season number?

I have some episodes of Timewatch that, according to TVDB, use a year/episode rather than a season/episode.  What’s the best way to get the WD TV Live to scrape them? I tried “Timewatch.S1999E11.mkv” but that didn’t work.

58 Views currently and no one can offer any insight into this?

I too have this issue, albeit not a major issue for me, but it would be nice to see a bit of advice on the specific naming convention needed to resolve this “year instead of season” number thing.

And gers1978, I’m sorry I don’t have a fix but I hope that someone will chime in on this bump to your original post.

MeatHook wrote:

58 Views currently and no one can offer any insight into this?

I too have this issue, albeit not a major issue for me, but it would be nice to see a bit of advice on the specific naming convention needed to resolve this “year instead of season” number thing.

And gers1978, I’m sorry I don’t have a fix but I hope that someone will chime in on this bump to your original post.

Make that 59 views.

Yep, that’s right - no one can offer any insight to this otherwise they would have answered.

Thinking outside the square if there is no fix to this problem you may have to create your own XMLs from the TVdb website using an XML creator program (there are a few on the community).  I know its the long way to go about it but it may be your only option.

Thanks for the reply PGRated. I had hoped that by seeing that others had the same problem it might have elicited a response from someone who knew about it or even from WD themselves as I know they occasionally peruse the site.

As for no one having any help to offer, I find that statement dubious at best. Many times questions are posted that go unanswered because they don’t draw the attention of the right person. By that I mean someone who actually knows how to help and is in the mood to post about it, and forums being what they are, as the post get farther down the page the less likely they are to be read.

Your input for the XML editor is valid and a workaround may be the only option. Unfortunately there are those of us out here that would like a media player to handle these types of tasks. That is just one of the extra features that makes the purchase of a packaged media player enticing. If this media player is incapable of handling this one function it’s not a deal breaker, just an inconvenience.

I myself find workarounds great if I want a custom layout or special images but when all I want is the basic vanilla then I would hope that the media scraper could do it’s job. I’ve found that if it can’t more often then not it is usually a user naming convention error at fault which led gers1978 and myself to post.

Again, thanks for trying to help.

Fair call in response to my post, but your original post came across to me as a little rude and havng a go at other users - but lets get over that and try and fix your problem.

If the media scraper is working for other TV shows etc then it is not the scraper that is not working.

I did have a deeper look at your problem and logged onto the TVDB site.  I also tried scraping some of the data using a number of different file names without success.  I also used a non media player scraper and also could not scrape the information from the site.  I have never had a problem with this non media scraper until this.  I have since tried other shows and the scraper is working.

As a result of trying some of the above, I believe that the TVDB site may be the problem.  Maybe TV shows in question are not referenced correctly so that a scraper can do it’s correct task?  I am no expert with their site but it appears that the problem only exists with this particular show.

Have you tried posting on the TVDB site? They may be able to help you with the correct naming of the episodes so that the XML can be created using the scraper.

Thanks again PGRated. I’m sorry that my post came across as rude. That was not my intent. I’ve got to be more careful when I post. It always sounds just fine in my head. Believe me, if rudeness what what I was after, there would have been no chance in mistaking the intent and it would have probably resulted in my banishment from the site.    :smiley:

I appreciate that you’re trying to help. I too have tried every naming style that I could imagine and never had any luck. I figured it was just me and since it wasn’t a playback issue, I had just let it go and hoped that one day I would see something here and be like EUREKA! All other aspects of the scraper is working well on TV as well as movie titles.

As far as the problem being limited to the series mentioned in the OP, I’m afraid it’s not. MGM and Warner Brothers cartoons from the 40’s, 50’s etc. are also affected. I had tried the forums over at the TVDB and was directed to the media player by those responding. Of course that was over a year ago, so I may try my luck and post there again.

Thanks again.