Scan my music collection?

I’m trying to replace my media PC with this device. I have a collection of music on a network share. What I would like is for the WD TV to scan it and know what all is in my collection. Is this possible? I can play the music but only one album at a time since it’s all organized like

CDs/Artist/Album/Song.mp3

Surfing around is a pain and I don’t like to listen to one album at a time anyhow. I want to listen to my music in random order.

Am I just misunderstanding what this device is for and should I just send it back?

During music playback, press OPTION on your remote. Choose shuffle.

vondo wrote:

I’m trying to replace my media PC with this device. I have a collection of music on a network share. What I would like is for the WD TV to scan it and know what all is in my collection. Is this possible? I can play the music but only one album at a time since it’s all organized like

CDs/Artist/Album/Song.mp3

Surfing around is a pain and I don’t like to listen to one album at a time anyhow. I want to listen to my music in random order.

Am I just misunderstanding what this device is for and should I just send it back?

Make a playlist which can be then shuffled. You then use the WDTV to play the playlist.

http://www.oddgravity.com/app-opc.php

I’ve got the shuffle worked out. The problem is that the device doesn’t look into sub-directories of the current directory as far as I can tell.

I think I can sort of make this work by creative use of more SMB shares on my server and making directories that have links to all my files and all the files by a particular artist. I’ll also take a look at the playlists.

I think it’s obvious the music player is not going to be anywhere near as flexible as iTunes (or amarok which is actually what I’m using) but the other benefits will mean I will keep this device.