Says "encrypting" at end of back-up and never finishes

My drive is being used to back-up a new MacBook Pro. I’ve encrypted it. This is my second back-up (using Time Machine). After backing up (at least I think it’s the end) a message says encrypting and never finishes. The progress bar is about a tenth of the way and stuck there. I don’t know whether to unplug it or not and it’s been this way for well over an hour. Any ideas? Is it defective? I am in my return window for the Apple Store. thanks.

It should be able to resume but the encrypting process can take many many hours, in some cases days.

Thanks.

Are you saying that each time I back up that it would take hours or days to finish and I need to keep my computer on and connected for that long? I had never encrypted a back-up drive before and wasn’t aware of what was entailed. Are all back-up drive the same in this respect?

Thanks again.

steven schickler
sschickler@comcast.net
(001) 206-852-1371

Yes the process will be longer due to the encryption. However after the first complete backup it should be faster. It will be the same for any drive as the encryption is based on Apple’s algorithm not the drive.

Thanks. I am new to encryption and didn’t know any of this. Just one more question. I should keep the back-up drive connected during encryption and not turn it off or disconnect? If I want to travel with my MacBook today and disconnect will it have to start all over again with encryption?

Thanks
steven schickler
sschickler@comcast.net
(001) 206-852-1371

The process should be able to resume. It is part of Apple’s system not ours. The support for encryption of this method would best be from them. But generally you would want to let it finish prior to disconnecting as interruptions can be a cause for issue in most things.

Thanks

steven schickler
sschickler@comcast.net
(001) 206-852-1371