SATA to USB Adapter

I am trying to recover data from an MBL that has a nonstop red light, have tried all the stops that I could without taking it apart. I dont have a PC. I am wondering if I could use an adapter to hook it up to my laptop to recover the data using one of the ways listed here via Win7 or Linux.

You should be able to.  Google ext2fsd.  It is an installable file system driver that will allow Windows to at least read the contents of a EXT formatted partition.  I think it’ll also give you access to an EXT4 Linux file system so you can at least retrieve your data.  It is dependent on the drive being functional.  If the red light is because the drive has developed a fault then there is not a lot that can be done.

Be aware that if the MBL does not have a connection to the router, as in the physical link is not established, that will also show the red LED on the MBL.

Taking the drive apart will void its warranty. You may may contact WD and ask for permission before proceeding.

That’s absolutly correct.  The MBL should have been built like the MBLD.  Where both drives can easily be removed and it’s in a sort of cage so should also survive and electro-magnitic pulse.  :smiley:

Vadir2 wrote:

Taking the drive apart will void its warranty. You may may contact WD and ask for permission before proceeding.