Sapien Tincidunt

Praesent commodo quis risus non convallis. Vivamus gravida, metus a laoreet tincidunt, nisi sapien tincidunt eros, a faucibus massa mauris a libero. Ut maximus, dui eu efficitur elementum, augue quam tristique arcu, in lacinia mauris justo eget orci. Mauris ultricies fermentum ex, vitae blandit eros aliquet in.

3 Likes

Hi @dswv42,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

The bot strikes again . . . . .

I guess you / we are out of luck then.
2.28 is the version provided with Debian 10 “Buster” on which WD decided to rely for OS5, although Buster is already LTS since last August and will only be maintained until June 30th, 2024 (while WD promised support until at least 2025).
Debian 11 “bullseye” comes with 2.31.

https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=sourcenames&keywords=glibc

Very interesting.

And predicted. . . . . .

It was clear from the start that OS/5 was created with something like ER in mind.
However, the horrible performance of the indexing functions both on NAS boxes and PC’s, pretty much doomed the technical side of the project.

Not to mention the limited functionality of the early product (especially the free version - - > I don’t think they ever got around to NAS support, did they?)

Shame really - - - in my mind, OS/5 really soured the WD NAS product line for me.

Do you think they will strip this of OS5? (And MCH?)

NO

There have been no functionality improvements (or rather; corrections) since the product. . .since introduction. Why would they start now?

How could they NOT provide a warning like that?

One could easily brick a system if you don’t know what you are doing.

Off topic, perhaps but it never ceases to amaze me that a company like Western Digital abandons its products/users so quickly. Synology and QNAP continue to support products that are over 10 years old. Now, admittedly, their 10-plus year old hardware may be pretty slow with their latest operating systems but it at least it still functions and remains supported.

Shame on you, Western Digital!

Great reason not to use apps!

I imagine the OS3 and OS5 installers are the same? (asks the guy only running OS3)

Also of personal annoyance (and off topic); the abandonment of the MyPassport Wireless drives. I really liked the entire concept of those units: Portable battery powered routers with onboard 4TB of storage? With SD card reader to boot? Awesome. If they released a new version tomorrow I would buy two**

I do fully admit, however, that those type of devices are functionally obsolete. Tablet PC’s; SSD external drives; streaming services; cloud storage. . . I don’t really need the MPWP anymore. Just like the old CD disk changer I have.

**Caveat: I have the first two HDD versions of this device. The third version featured an SSD drive - - → and was basically the same size (WHY?) as the HDD version; and therefore had no appeal for me.

Support of old hardware is another topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

FAIR

I have a few MyClouds - all on OS/3. The oldest, a Gen 1 single bay, is the only one that I don’t really use - - because I find the interface/dashboard a bit slow. As a file server. . .no real complaints. Just keep all the NAS boxes protected from the internet - - and all is well; even with their limited feature set.

NOW - I would like to explore the full capabilities of these boxes; but honestly I don’t really have the time to explore this area like you do (Day job too draining!). Don’t really have need more from the NAS boxes. Heck - - don’t even take advantage of Plex anymore.

In terms of features as a file server. Meh. The only have two complaints (both resolved in OS/5);

• Visibility to Windows file explorer (although; this may have been fixed by Windows recently)
  • Default is to do indexing on inserted USB drives (very annoying if you use attach a 4TB external drive) (I think this doesn’t happen if you disable all media functions. . .but who wants to do that?)