Samsung Galaxy TAB S & WD My Passport Ultra

So the very helpful guy from JB HiFi sold me a Samsung Galaxy Tab S and a 2Tb WD My Passport Ultra drive with the required cable, stating yep it will all work and easy for you to back up pictures etc and watch your videos from the drive direct.

I can’t get the drive to be recognised on the Samsung unit. I plug in a smaller 8Gb usb thumb drive and that works fine.

Has anyone else had the same problem with portable drives not working on the Samsung tablets?

Thanks again in advance.

• I have already emailed WD Tech Support, but thought I’d ask here too.

Cheers

Daz.

The WD Passport Ultra is a USB 3.0 device. Unless your tablet can supply 900mA through the USB port then it will not be able to power the external hard drive. 

Regards,

Thanks Trancer,

The drive does say its compatible with USB2.0. Also it does power up, the little white led light just flashes.

Cheers.

Daz.

It is compatible with USB 2.0 as an interface. Power supply requirements are another story.

Try to force USB 2.0 mode by using a micro USB 2.0 cable as opposed to the USB 3.0 cable supplied with the unit. Even if powered, please bear in mind this device was designed for computer use and the tablet may not be able to install drivers or read the file system.

Regards,