Same WD2500 drives but RAID 1 says size is different

I had 2 WD2500JS drives in a Raid 1 Mirror configuration One of the drives failed (WD2500JS-22N). I purchased a new drive, but it is showing as 232.8GB when I boot the system up in a Intel Matrix Storage Manager Window prior to windows starting, and the good existing drive shows 232.9GB, and I can’t rebuild the Raid array. The new drive appears smaller by 0.1GB.

I’ve tried using a DOS boot tool to “Set Capacity to MAX” on the new drive, but it still doesn’t work.

The original drive that still works is a WD2500JS-00SGB0 Firmware 20.06C03
The drive I just purchased is a WD2500JS-75NCB3 Firmware 10.02E04

After Windows starts and I run the Intel Matrix Storage Console application, it shows both drives as 232.8GB. Both show a sector size of 512Bytes.

When I try to “Rebuild to this Hard Drive” by right clicking on the newly installed drive II get the following error:

Rebuild RAID Volume Wizard
The Volume cannot be rebuilt to the selected hard drive due to one of the following reasons:
-The hard drive contains system files or is the system hard drive
-The hard drive is not large enough to be used for the rebuild action
-The hard drive has reported a SMART event
-The hard drive has reported a failure
-The hard drive is in a different encryption state than the volume.

Any suggestions?

Those are two different hard drives. The revision numbers after the base model number belong to very different production and manufacturing batches, which is also reflected in the unit’s firmware. It may be possible for the units to be no longer compatible even if they belong to the same base WD2500JS hard drive family.

There’s also the possibility for the new drive to be faulty. What happens if you test the drive independently using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows?

Thanks Trancer.

I ran an Extended Test using the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows and it Passed.

I’m wondering, is there a way to partition the existing drive without loosing the data on it into a 1GB partition that I won’t use, and the balance of the drive, and then mirror the balance of the drive to the new drive since the new drive appears to be 0.1GB smaller than the existing drive?