Safepoints to USB drive can't be trusted

I’m using an all WD system (3TB Mycloud, 4TB MyBook USB, WD software) as storage and backup and I don’t trust it. After loading 1.5TB of files to the MyCloud and going through the first safepoint creation (which took DAYS) I set it up for automatic safepoint update every night. I also set up automatic emails for all MyCloud notifications. For a week or so it all worked fine. Every morning I’d find an email stating that my safepoint update had been sucessfully completed.

This morning, however, I noticed that there was no email waiting for me. I checked back and the last one was 3 days ago. I fired up the dashboard and it showed the MyBook was attached under the usb button but further checking revealed that the USB drive share wasn’t there.

I ejected the USB drive with Dashboard and plugged the cable into my PC. Everything seemed to be there and accessable. Plugged it back into the MyCloud. It didn’t recognize the drive. Rebooted the MyCloud from dashboard. It didn’t recognize the drive. Finally did a power down from dashboard, removed the power from the MyCloud, waited a minute or so then reconnected power. The USB drive showed up and the share was there!

So it seems the MyCloud loses track of another WD device connected to it by a foot and a half of cable, or I should say part of it loses track because it did show it as connected when I first checked and let me eject it.

This is pretty crappy performance, WD, for a product marketed as a backup device! I just don’t trust it now.

Edit: Why didn’t the MyCloud even notify me that it couldn’t perform the safepoint because the USB drive wasn’t available?

1 Like

@royk109: About a week ago you wrote “Well put!” re the posting from akole at:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/New-Release-WD-My-Cloud-Firmware-Release-3-04-01-3-5-14/m-p/696798#M9612

That says it all, and as long as my postings are not all deleted you can read my tagline :wink:

Well yes I did. But Everything had been working fine for the last week or so and I had allowed myself some optimism. Won’t make that mistake again.

royk109 wrote:

Well yes I did. But Everything had been working fine for the last week or so and I had allowed myself some optimism. Won’t make that mistake again.

The firmware has a very special character. It might perfectly work until you trust it and forget to make another backup :wink: