Safepoint Failure

Okay I’m getting really frustrated and hoping someone can help me sort this out.

First a little background.  

I have a 4TB Elements desktop drive connected to a 2TB My Cloud drive using the provided USB3 cable and a CAT6 cable to my ISP’s DOCSIS modem/router.

I’ve had the My Cloud drive for a couple of months and it’s worked great.  The Elements drive is brand new and was purchased with intent to be used as a backup drive for the My Cloud as well as a 500G laptop and 250G netbook.

Every time I try to create a Safepoint using the My Cloud dashboard I receive the following error message.

• Your safepoint cannot be updated due to a failed request. Please try again. (36323)

I check the notification centre and I get a similar message there.

There was an error updating your safepoint.

2 - There was an error updating your safepoint Backup_MyCloud on the Elements share on WDMyCloud.

Saturday, January 10, 2015 5:47:19 PM Code 1102

As well as:

There was an error creating your safepoint.

2 - There was an error creating your safepoint Backup_MyCloud on the Elements share on WDMyCloud.

Saturday, January 10, 2015 5:07:09 PM

Things I’ve tried based on what I’ve read on this board.

1 - Deleting and recreating the Safepoint with shorter name.

2 - Doing a systems only restore on the My Cloud drive.

3 - Updating the firmware on the My Cloud drive to the most recent edition (v04.01.02-417).

4 - Updating the firmware on the Elements drive to the most recent edition (v3.2.5.1).

5 - Curse loudly and wave my fist in anger. Picture Yosemite Sam saying “I’ll get you rabbit” to Bugs Bunny.

(That last one is not from the boards.  It’s my own personal troubleshooting measure.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Danny

Additional information:

Okay so I’ve tried to create Safepoints using the followin file names.

Backup_MyCloud

MyCloud

Backup

All three seem to fail at aroud the 6G mark.

On the dashboard view it has another message stating “This safepoint is in an invalid state, try updating to fix the problem”.  I try and manually update the safepoint and it fails again.

Ugh!

Should I be able to create a safepoint on to a external drive connected directly to the MyCloud drive?

When I connected the Elements external drive to the MyCloud drive it created a share.  Should this happen?  Is there a configuration/setting that needs to be updated on the share?  Should I remove the share?

FetaLovingGreek wrote:

2 - There was an error creating your safepoint Backup_MyCloud on the Elements share on WDMyCloud.

Why does that error message read like you create a backup of your MYCLOUD ON your MYCLOUD and then the safepoint software transfers that to the Elements external?

It sounds like there isn’t enough room to create that backup image anymore.

e.g.

<1TB was stored as a backup in the Elements share folder on MYCLOUD.  That was transfered to your external.

1TB can’t be stored as a backup in the Elements share folder on MYCLOUD.  There is no room left.

Can you skip the step and have the safepoint stored directly on to the Elements external?

That was one of the file names I used to try and create the Safepoint.

When I click on create a safepoint it asks for a name.  Then I select USB drive and it brings up the Elements drive connected to the My Cloud. 

Okay so I’ve tried to create Safepoints using the followin file names.

Backup_MyCloud

MyCloud

Backup

All three seem to fail at aroud the 6G mark.

On the dashboard view it has another message stating “This safepoint is in an invalid state, try updating to fix the problem”.  I try and manually update the safepoint and it fails again.

Ugh!

Should I be able to create a safepoint on to a external drive connected directly to the MyCloud drive?

When I connected the Elements external drive to the MyCloud drive it created a share.  Should this happen?  Is there a configuration/setting that needs to be updated on the share?  Should I remove the share?

I had a lot of problems getting a safepoint to work using a 3tb My Book as the target, connected to a 3tb My Cloud. After a case was opened with Level 2 support, we’ve got it working. Here is what we did.

1. Tried doing a system only restore.(this keeps your data, does away with passwords,users,static ip.etc. Shares remain intact)

2. Ejected the target disk(in my case the My Book) and reformatted NTFS. Make sure if you’re partitioning the drive, it’s as big as the My Cloud hard drive)

3. Plugged in the target disk to the My Cloud.

4. Started the safepoint backup.

Now, this eventually worked but I learned one thing about this process. Patience. Sometimes the backup would hang at 47% or something like that for hours. Just let it run. I had 1.1TB of information that took 26 hours via the USB3.0 cable. 

If nothing else, open a support case. I did and Level 2 support contacted me about 3 days later. The guy I spoke with was very patient, committed to fixing the problem, and followed up after the fact. The above steps are an abbreviated overview of what I did, and there were some restarts/power cycling events as well.

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll get it figured out.

PS Yes, you can create a safepoint with a drive connected to your WD My Cloud. Yes, it’s normal for the external drive to be an added share. Mine comes up as MyBook(what I named the drive when I partitioned/formatted it)  Just leave it alone while you’re creating your safepoint. You can mess with it later on.