Safepoint combatibility between MBL <> WDMC

Hi Ichigo,

Apparently, taking a MBL SafePoint and applying it to a WDMC is not exactly compatible (and I have not tried the other way around).  I suspect other folks will run into this at some point, and I wanted to circle back to this for their benefit.

Applying a MyBookLive SafePoint to a new WD MyCloud apparently overwrites some settings specific to the MyCloud with MyBook Live settings, causing the problems I have detailed here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Problems-with-WDMC-after-restoring-MBL-SafePoint/td-p/731102

Fortunately, the fix is to do a System-Only Restore AFTER applying the MBL SafePoint.

So, while this process will “work” to transfer the data from an old MBL SafePoint to the new WDMC device, it isn’t a seamless process.  As of now, you will have to go in and set up all the users and permissions yourself, manually, after the restore, which is more of a pain than I thought this would be.

But it is done, and seems to be working so far.

Keep in mind that if you do this and you still have a working old MBL device, you could run into an IP address (and Windows Networking name) conflict if you do not change the IP (and Windows Networking Name) of the older device prior to completing the SafePoint restore to the new device.