Safepoint backup of 1 MyBook Live to another MBL always fails

Not beeing posible to have a mirror configuration on the MyBook Live (MBL) used to backup the family home computers, I decided to buy another one and to backup the first MBL to the second one.

No luck so far: none of the Safepoint backup ever completed with success…

The email  NAS alert is always :

Following events are generated on your MyBookLive MyBookLiveUn.

Event title:Safe-Point update failed.

Event description:5 - There was an error updating your safepoint MBL_1 on the BackupMyBookLiveUn share on MYBOOKLIVEDEUX.

Severity:warn

Event code:1102

Event time:12-18-2011 01:00:15 AM

What does that mean ? Should I return the second MBL ?

Thanks

I just noticed that there is at least 3 others unresolved threads about this exact same problem  (event code 1102):

One was reported in September, one in November, one 1 week ago and mine today.

Two of the three involve 2 MyBook Live, as this one. That makes 3.

About 3 months with nobody from WD really working on it ? I would be surprised from a such serious company selling hard disks to store our precious data, and for a problem related to data security, I mean a  backup process WD provided to secure the disks the company sells. 

After 3 months, could we have someone from WD having an official statement about  this problem ?

Thanks

In summary, time after time, trying to backup one Western Digital MyBook Live to another Western Digital MyBook Live using Safepoint, a Western Digital backup software, many people got an Event code:1102" and the backup fails.

Anybody from Western Digital ever had a look at that problem ?

Any users can report a successfull backup when using SafePoint to backup one Western Digital MyBook Live to another Western Digital MyBook Live ?

Thanks

I am curious. Did you clear the alert (clicking on the check box, then the x at the top corner of the alert). If you didn’t do that, it will not be cleared - and you may be seeing the same alert.

We have not seen too many issues reported with Safepoint. I run it every night from home like you do - from one My Book Live to another.

Thanks Tony.

About the alert, I’m not talking about the displayed alert, but the amailed alert. It doesn’t send two times the same alert.

But there is many recent problems about this “error” code.

Please have a look at the second post of this thread. 

There is a mention of  Safepoint update failure, the exact same situation as mine.

How large is your SafePoint ? 

huotg01 wrote:

Thanks Tony.

About the alert, I’m not talking about the displayed alert, but the amailed alert. It doesn’t send two times the same alert.

But there is many recent problems about this “error” code.

Please have a look at the second post of this thread. 

There is a mention of  Safepoint update failure, the exact same situation as mine.

How large is your SafePoint ? 

Could we have someone confirming that a backup of one Western Digital MyBook Live could be done to another Western Digital MyBook Live using Safepoint ?

And, if it works, what is the size of the backup ?

Thanks

I have almost 2TB of data - mostly pictures, movies and music (not many backups) that I backup from one 3Tb drive to another 3TB drive (My Book Live).  I am checking on this error code. This problem should correct itself though. The only issue we have seen is when certain Mac programs use file types that are not valid according to Samba. These types of files can cause issues (I remember one Korg Music Synthesizer program that had special characters in some of the music files).

Thanks for answering.

All backuped devices are PC (not MAC).

What is the debug process to pinpoint the problem ?

(We have to identify the problem if we want to correct it)

Gaston

We will need you system logs. PM me to send me your logs. What OS are you running? Is the share you are backing up to authenticated (Do you have a username and password)? I believe that we require that for backup to PC.

I’m back

As a reminder, I’m backing up a MBL to another MBL using Safepoint.

Yes there is passwords everywhere.

The ZIP file produced by “Create and Save System Report” in the support menu of the MBL is ~19Mb

How do you want me to send it to you ? Is there a part of it that you   would need more than another ?

Thanks

Gaston

If Tony PMs you his e-mail address you can use a sevice like http://www.dropsend.com/ where you can use it 5 times per month for free.

I am getting the same issue. I purchase my 4TB (2 x 2TB) about 2 weeks ago and this is problematic and the device seems sluggish when accessing over WiFi.

I’m trying to create the restore point to another USB attached WD drive.

I’ve had the same problem here for several months. Trying do a safepoint from a 2 TB MB Live to a new 3 TB MB Live. Always fails with an error code 1102.

I have files which uses Danish letters in the filename, and that’s my prime suspect :wink:

However, after several months, I would have expected a firmware upgrade to fix this long time ago.

I’ve noticed, after trying to create a safepoint, that a lot of small 4K files show up in many of my video folders on my source disk. About 20-30 of them pr. folder. Not all folders, just some. Weird.

A final weird thing is that I can actually find the files on the target drive… somewhere deep down a tree… So stuff actually gets copied…

Hope this is fixed very soon :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Palle