Safe shutdown

Thanks for notifying
i corrected the link now

1 Like

you are wellcome.

does this “trick” work on Android devices/mobile webbrowsers? Does it work on Win7/Win10 machines?

1 Like

it works where there is browser with bookmark bar on any OS/Device

1 Like

Interesting!

Has anyone tried this as a parameter to a shortcut/launcher?

I know you can do things like “firefox 172.31.100.22” (for example), to bring up the web page for the device.

Does anyone know if it is possible to add the javascript to the launcher/shortcut to make it self-executing?

(joking)
Maybe it’s time for someone to write an extension for Firefox/Chrome, or an ActiveX control for IE that does a WD My Cloud shutdown?
(/joking)

Jim (JR)

Is this for the Gen-1 or Gen-2 devices?

It is already well known that the code for the shutdown button is commented out on the Gen-1 devices but does not exist on the Gen-2 devices.

Can someone clarify this for the benefit of those who look for this topic in the future?

Thanks!

Jim (JR)

I just tried that with my gen2. It shows hibernate after doing so.

1 Like

Dont know if this is a valid option, but is it possible to put an auto run file with the shutdown command on a usb stick, so that when you insert the stick into the MyCloud device, the shutdown is initiated.

Effectively using the usb stick as a “power off switch”.

1 Like

I also have this issue (and others due to poor firmware). Anyway the tool is called “WD Access for Windows” and the (new) link is “Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support” and I’m about to try it.

[UPDATE] Possibly handy for something but this tool has no shutdown (or reboot) options.

1 Like

In chrome copying:

javascript:(function(){document.getElementById("id_shutdown_td").style.display%20=%20"block";})();

(from the “shortcut” above) into the address bar while on that page worked (note that I had to retype the prefix “javascript:”, probably a security feature)

The last thing I need is another shortcut :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone have an idea how to make this permanent on a Gen-2 device?

If you point to the “reboot” button in Firefox and then select “inspect element”, you will note a few lines above it the shutdown code with “display:none” (or something like that) selected.

I can run the javascript, or unselect that element, and a “hibernate” button appears.

Jim (JR)

It seems that installing “WD Quick View” might be an easier solution. In the mean time its a firmware bug that should be reported. I’m going to guess someone had the idea of creating an “advanced” view then forgot to do so.

1 Like

It has been reported to WD numerous times both here in this subforum and in the Cloud Ideas subforum to no avail. The missing Shutdown option in the Dashboard on the second generation single bay v2.x My Cloud units has been requested almost since the initial release of the second generation single bay My Cloud units over two years ago.

WD has decided, for what ever reason, not to implement a Shutdown option through the My Cloud Dashboard on the v2.x single bay unit’s firmware.

Here is one such request in the Cloud Ideas forum from 2016:
https://community.wd.com/t/bring-back-the-shutdown-button-to-the-my-cloud-dashboard/177758

1 Like

Are either or these locations considered “official” by WD? In any case I have added my comments to the cloud idea as should anyone else who cares.

WD seem not to care, they need to be encouraged, so here is my effort:

1 Like
  1. In your browser create bookmark with “link”:
    javascript: document.getElementById(“home_shutdown_link”).click();

2. Log into MyCloud web interface.

3. Click on bookmark.

2 Likes

Thats a known workaround, I’d rather WD fixed their bugs/features.

1 Like

Good luck waiting for that.

2 Likes

WD Quick View for Mac does not work. Installation failed. I am running macOS High Sierra !

First post because I’m looking to shut down my WD Mycloud device only to find that there is no shutdown button on the control panel via the web browser. So… open up control panel, inspect elements, search for “shutdown” and viola… dev_shutodown(); function is set to display: none; Seriously WD, why hide this? Why make it difficult for users to shut their hardware down? To increase sales? Ridiculous, every WD product I’ve owned, world book, mycloud etc, has had all sorts of little quirks like this. Sad.

1 Like

well, thats the life… it is eternity and WD does not make any steps to change this back. So , the only why is to find and choose one of the tricks and tweeks to shutdown the MyCloud device , just read above and choose what is the best way for you

1 Like

Thank you! I made an account to just say WD why do you include features and hide them with CSS making me have to go to the developers console to shutdown my MyCloud…

When it fails i’m going to Synology or QNAP, your bloated jQuery UI is nauseating.

1 Like