Safe shutdown

Not sure why you quoted my post. The bottom line is there is a shutdown command on the Dashboard for v3.x/v4.x firmware, and a Shutdown command in the WD QuickView program for v2.x firmware. The various SSH commands in my post that was quoted are standard linux shutdown commands.

Since using the shutdown command ever night I no longer have occasional media file corruption which I was having from time to time when I pulled power without issuing the shutdown command.

The problem, at least with the older first gen My Cloud is even when you issue the Shutdown command and the OS/hard drive shut down and the front LED is no longer lit, the networking port still is drawing power and the LED’s continue to operate.

As to the other poster’s question about why would you want to shut down the unit. Why not? Yes it is designed to be left on 24/7 but there are times when one may wan to turn the unit off for a period of time for what ever reason. In my case I shut my My Cloud down at night when not in use along with my other computers/network/broadband equipment. No sense in having a power draw, as small as it is with the My Cloud, when the unit isn’t being used for long stretches of time. Shrugs, to each their own.