S.M.A.R.T G-sense error rate normalized value drops while raw value rises

I have an ASUS N56JR laptop that comes preinstalled with windows 8, and all that stuff, and I have the following problem.

I use crystaldiskinfo to check the smart attribute data, and it says the hard drive is the WD7500BPKX

Here is the data I compiled with the G-sense error rate.

The data is as follows:

Month Day Time Normalized Worst Threshold RawValue

July 27 2014 42 42 0 3A
July 28 2014 41 41 0 3A
July 28 9:14PM 41 41 0 3B
July 29 12:29PM 41 41 0 3B
July 30 4:56PM 41 41 0 3B
July 30 10:09PM 40 40 0 3C
August 1 10:58AM 40 40 0 3C
August 1 1:41PM 39 39 0 3D
August 2 1:18AM 39 39 0 3D

As you can see, the raw values are steadily increasing by one and at the same time, the normalized and worst values are decreasing by 1.

This laptop is powerd on for 724 hours as well.

Here is some important information you must know.  During all this time, I did not significantly bump, drop, or induce this laptop to any form of physical shock.

Here is another important piece of information.  I already e-mailed ASUS support, and I don’t know how useful the help is.  Basically said that this is because of some software or some connection issue.  I don’t know how software could cause the G-sense error rate to change, and have the raw value continually go up while the normalized value continually go down.

Another piece of important info is that the only raw values that isn’t 0 is:

Spin up time, raw value of 67A

Start/Stop Count, raw value of 149

Power on Hours, raw value of 2D4

Power Cycle Count, raw value of 134

G-sense error rate, raw value of 3D, and is going up

Power-off Retract Count, raw value of 3

Load/Unload cycle count, raw value of 98AB, and is going up

Temperature, raw value of 22

Here is the SMART attributes whose normalized values and worst values aren’t either 100 or 200:

Spin up time, where normalized is at 186, worst at 180, threshold at 21

G-sense error rate, where both normalized and worst values are at 39, and is decreasing, with threshold at 0.

Load/Unload cycles, where the normalized value and worst value is 187 with threshold at 0.

Temperature, where normalized value is at 113, and worst value is at 106, and threshold is at 0.

So anybody with any ideas on why this is happening, and is this a huge problem that I should worry about, or is this type of thing normal?

Hi,

As a recommendation, test the unit using the DLG tool and depending on the results it will let you know if there’s an issue with the SMART status of the drive. 

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/session/L3RpbWUvMTQwNjk5NDA2MS9zaWQvamtvQTdSLWw%3D

If the drive still increasing the errors, please contact WD Support directly for assistance.

WD Contact info:

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en%22

I use the short and extended tests and they both passed.

What I am afraid of is if this lowering G-sense error rate normalized value, and at the same time, rising G-sense error rate raw value would cause this test to fail in the future.

I have a few questions.

Can a SMART normalized value ever be 0, or is the lowest value 1?

Let’s say that my normalized value for the G-sense error rate goes down to 0, and it probably should considering his value lowers by 1 once every 2 days.  What happens then, is it guaranteed that my drive will fail by then?

Let’s say you bump your laptop, how should the normalized and raw values for G-sense error rate work?  Should the normalized value reset back to 100, or is the drop in the normalized value permanent?   Does this mean that dropping your laptop equals to many small bumps?

Why is my G-sense error rate raw value increasing, while the normalized vaue decreases while my laptop was not subject to any form of physical shock?