RulePathMissing Unknown Error

The backup on my wife’s directory was backing up fine for the last 3 hours and then suddenly, it kept throwing the following error:

7/14/2010 9:39:03 PM; RulePathMissing Unknown Error

First thing I thought was odd is today (at that time) is 1/5/2011 7:33:02PM, why in the heck is it showing me a July 14, 2010 Error @ 9:39:03PM at night?

Then it kept repeating. Sometimes it would be the same entry 4-5 times in the same second and sometimes nothing at all for 5 seconds. I kept the PC on overnight, thinking it would resolve itself and the only thing that helped to resolve it was a forced shutdown of the software and a soft restart of it and it disappeared. 

I haven’t altered the backup program in months, so I don’t see why I would be having this problem in the first place?

What backup software are you using? What WD product are you using? More info please. Its kinda vague here…

heid4055 wrote:

What backup software are you using? What WD product are you using? More info please. Its kinda vague here…

Sorry about that, I’m using the original version that came with the WD ShareSpace. The “About” indicates the following:

WD Anywhere Backup Version 4.00.5484 and it has a long configuration ID string thereafter. Should I post that?

The WD ShareSpace I’m using is the 4TB version. I have not changed the configuration as it came. The userID I am using to access the share is the administrator’s ID. I’ve unable to use any other userID that I configured to access the share (that’s a different story altogether). 

Oh my… Ive been telling everyone that WD Smartware is pretty much useless bloatware. Im the biggest WD supporter but I just dont like their “backup” software. Please use Acronis and/or Paragon software. Acronis is free for a month and Paragon is free. You can do incremental backups everynight like I do. It works flawlesslly! 

Try that and let me know. You will never look back!

heid4055 wrote:

Oh my… Ive been telling everyone that WD Smartware is pretty much useless bloatware. Im the biggest WD supporter but I just dont like their “backup” software. Please use Acronis and/or Paragon software. Acronis is free for a month and Paragon is free. You can do incremental backups everynight like I do. It works flawlesslly! 

Try that and let me know. You will never look back!

I’ll give it a whirl. But, I would be curious to know still what it really means. I’m like you, I love WD stuff, but obviously their forte is not software and it seems some director in WD must’ve thought it was cheaper to develop internal software using Memeo’s  engine rather than just licensing it from Memeo to begin with and savings tons of WD $$$ on production support tickets.