Rsync problem between Thecus N4200 and My Cloud EX2

I have set Thecus NAS as client and enabled the WD NAS’s server.

I simply want to copy the entire content of my music folder from Thecus to new WD NAS without PC intervention.

Thecus returns “User authentication failed” even though all the settings seems to be correct.

Did anybody try this?

Thanks.

This was my reply to another topic concerening RSYNC, not sure if it will help you or not, b ut this is how I do it.

Not sure if anyone here has another NAS to backup to (Or a Linux PC) but I had a Seagate GoFlex 3tb.  I used SSH to get into tthe Seagate drive and wrote a pretty basic shell script using rsync to backup the critical directories of my WD EX2.  Unfortunately I cant run this from cron because I cant put my public key on the WD EX2 without compiling my own version of their firmware, thus I have to start it manually and answer the password request.

rsync -avzW -e ssh sshd@192.168.xxx.xxx:/mnt/HD/HD_a2/sourcedir/ /mnt/eSata/.users/admin/targetdir/

**EDIT**

If both drives are on your local LAN you can get higher throughput (Approximately 5X) by using the following options;

rsync -aPW --exclude=.wdmc  --progress -e “ssh -T -c arcfour -o Compression=no -x” sshd@192.168.xxx.xxx:/mnt/HD/HD_a2/SOURCEDIR/ /mnt/eSata/.users/admin/TARGETDIR/

Obviously you would need to fill in the IP address with the IP of your WDNAS and change the source and target directory paths for your application.

Hi Vertech1,

thank you for your response.

I will try your suggested solution -though hesitantly, as I am no expert in scripting in any way- 

Let me see what happens.

PS: I am trying to copy folders from the other NAS to WD My Cloud EX2. Looking at the script you shared it seems to me it should have been different. Excuse my code-ignorant question. Thanks.

tbingel wrote:

Hi Vertech1,

thank you for your response.

I will try your suggested solution -though hesitantly, as I am no expert in scripting in any way- 

Let me see what happens.

PS: I am trying to copy folders from the other NAS to WD My Cloud EX2. Looking at the script you shared it seems to me it should have been different. Excuse my code-ignorant question. Thanks.

My script is set to copy files FROM the WDEx2 TO my Seagate NAS.  I only turn on the Seagate about once a week and that is strictly to backup critical files that are on my WDEX2.  You will have to change the source and destination portion of the script to do what you want.