Router NAS files dont show in sub menu only under files (media Server)

Hi everyone and thanks in advance to those whom maybe able to help me with this if it actually is an issue.

I have just set up my new WD TV device, using Wifi and WPS protected set up.

I have had no issue what so ever connecting up a USB drive to the front port to access my files, Videos, Music and Photo all show up in their corresponding menus. Any Metadata is being downloaded and saved with out any dramas.

My problem, - Attached to my router (USB SOCKET) - Linkysys E3000 is a external HDD drive set up as UPnP Media Server. I have both Guest (Read/only) and Admin (Read/Write) access to the files, currently I am able to access the external hard drive which shows up as “Network Name’” via TwonkyMedia Server via my iPhone and also a PS3 and via my Macbook which are all in the same Workgroup,

For some reason when I go into the sub menus such as Music, Video and then select the source eg - Media Server and the Workgroup External Hard Drive it connects but doesn’t display ANY FILES/FOLDERS,

The only way I am able to access the external hard drive using the content selection (MEDIA SERVER) is via the FILES on the homepage. 

Is this correct or how it should be? I have exhausted everything I possible can think and unless my Google skills have degraded I am having no luck finding an answer.

What my wish is to be able to access my External HDD files that are connect to my router via the correct sub menus VIDEO MUSIC PHOTOS just like I currently can via USB Drives connected directly to the WD TV LIVE.

You’re mixing up a whole lot of unrelated stuff.

Any Metadata is being downloaded and saved with out any dramas.

FIrst off, this forum is for the WDTV Live HD (2009) and WDTV Live Plus (2010) models, which don’t have any clue what metadata is.

You probably have the 2011 model WDTV Live SMP, the forum for which is here:   http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media/ct-p/wdtvlive_streaming 

Linkysys E3000 is a external HDD drive set up as UPnP Media Server. I have both Guest (Read/only) and Admin (Read/Write) access to the files

You say you’re using the UPnP media server.   If so, then there’s no such thing as Guest and Admin access.  Media Server doesn’t care about permissions.

currently I am able to access the external hard drive which shows up as “Network Name’” via TwonkyMedia Server via my iPhone and also a PS3 and via my Macbook which are all in the same Workgroup,

Workgroups aren’t relevent when it comes to TwonkyMedia.

It looks like you’re confusing Samba (CIFS) access and UPnP/DLNA access.

What my wish is to be able to access my External HDD files that are connect to my router via the correct sub menus VIDEO MUSIC PHOTOS just like I currently can via USB Drives connected directly to the WD TV LIVE.

… then you shouldn’t be using UPnP at all.   It won’t do anything for you.  Stick with Samba (CIFS) access and add the shares to your Media Library on the SMP via the Media Library Manager.

1 Like