Router Connection Problem with MC

It is an issue with straight-thru and crossover cables. When you essentially connect one router to another router (the WD drives appear like routers), then you need a crossover cable. Basically it switches two wires among the 8. It is a similar issue if you have multiple hard-wired devices and not enough ports in the back of the gateway. If you are connecting the gateway to a switch to connect multiple devices, you either have to have a switch that has an “uplink” port OR you need to use a crossover cable. For those of you who make their own Ethernet cables, you can go online and search for how to make a crossover cable.
I had the SAME issue with my new AT&T Gateway and a 16-port gigabit switch. I couldn’t get a link light. I tested using an older Cisco 8-port switch with an uplink port on #8. As soon as I plugged into the uplink port (which is the same as using a crossover cable), I got a link and everything worked.
CAVEAT: Newer switches are auto-sensing which means that they can negotiate with routers and decide which kind of connection needs to be used. Unfortunately, the piece of junk Gateway that AT&T uses does NOT support auto-negotiation and therefore will NOT work.
BOTTOM LINE: Get a switch that has an UPLINK port, or buy/make a crossover cable and these devices and switches should be able to connect without a hitch.