Router combined with WD TV Live TV Media Player

Hi everyone I am from Australia and very new to all of this TV Media stuff.

I have set up the WD Media player and have played movies and music with success, but now I want to connect to the Internet using my 3G USB Wireless connection and someone said I would need to use a Router to be able to do this.

I have tried just putting the USB into the Media Player but it didn’t see it at all. 

I also have a Mac Laptop that I could use as part of a network.

I would appreciate any step by step Ideas ver much as I really have no Idea what I am doing.

Thank You

Rob

pearcy wrote:

Hi everyone I am from Australia and very new to all of this TV Media stuff.

I have set up the WD Media player and have played movies and music with success, but now I want to connect to the Internet using my 3G USB Wireless connection and someone said I would need to use a Router to be able to do this.

I have tried just putting the USB into the Media Player but it didn’t see it at all. 

I also have a Mac Laptop that I could use as part of a network.

I would appreciate any step by step Ideas ver much as I really have no Idea what I am doing.

Thank You

Rob

OK, so you are from OZ – we will forgive you for that!  :wink:

Rob, to use the internet with the WD player you need:  an internet connection at your location, a modem and router, a home network configured as a WORKGROUP that the WD player can join, and the player plugged into the network connection from the router where it can communicate with the internet and the home network.

All of this is explained in the complete User Guide for your particular model of player.  You can download this guide from the WD Support area – just search it for your player model.

Hi Mike thanks for that,

I have the Internet Connection as I use a 3G Ultimate Wifi, its a small Internet USB that I can carry around the house and still be on the net with my mac, so I plugged that into the player with no result. 

So you think If I get a 3g router and plug my Internet into that then the WD Media player will see this?

Thanks

You should talk to your 3G provider. They should have hardware for a WiFi hotspot. You might even be able to make your laptop a hotspot.

Thanks I will ask.

Rob

Rob, the above advice makes sense to me – this is a “type” of internet service I am not familiar with.