Router advice

Oh God, looks like I am going to be stuck with this one. I am sure there is no way to check firmware version before buying a USB WIFI adapter, its going to be just luck and hope one gets the correct version

Sorry to have upset your day.

18pcs wrote:

Oh God, looks like I am going to be stuck with this one. I am sure there is no way to check firmware version before buying a USB WIFI adapter, its going to be just luck and hope one gets the correct version

There are still advantages to brick & mortar shopping… and this is one of them.

I paid a $20 premium buying my WiFi adapter at a local shop…  but I knew exactly what I was buying, and that it’d work first try.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

18pcs wrote:

There are still advantages to brick & mortar shopping… and this is one of them.

I paid a $20 premium buying my WiFi adapter at a local shop…  but I knew exactly what I was buying, and that it’d work first try.

and which one was that ? I have cancelled my order for the TPLINK, now wondering what to buy.

I have a cisco AE1000 usb adapter. I know it’s not on the approved list, but it works fine.

I bought mine at a brick and mortar store, because I couldn’t find one that matched the approved list. So far I have been lucky. It has worked flawless so far, I have firmware 1.04.31_B I have live plus

All i’m going to say, just because my experience has worked good for me doesn’t mean it will work for you. But there is a good chance that if you buy something that is not on the approved list, you may get lucky like me.

Would be obliged if anyone using any other compatible/non recommended model with good results could share their device details so that can look in that direction.