Roku use with cloud

I am NOT a stupid person, only technically challenged. OF COURSE I was not trying to access Twonky on my computer - I KNOW how to use my roku. MY problem is that the connection is not being made through the computer TO the roku and absolutely none of the “FAQs” you sent look anything like MY Windows 7 - looks more like a win-10 screen – and that is NO help at all. I will figure it out myself!

I did THAT, too, and it says it is NOT CONNECTED - NOT on my computer on the roku. Sorry I ever got involved!

Do you know that your computer has nothing to do with the Roku? Go through the Roku/TV only. Does the Roku Media Player app “see” the My Cloud and its contents?

I reiterate - I AM NOT STUPID!!! ROKU is connected via my router!!! It has nothing to do with my computer EXCEPT the router. AGAIN – ON MY ROKU (which has nothing to do with the computer!) I see an error message saying that there is no connection. WHY is that so difficult to understand??? The same with the WD icon - when I click on it it says it has no files, yet the FILES ARE ON THE DEVICE. Ergo, no connection. Please I will figure it out myself - this is causing more anxiety and frustration than doing it myself as you behave as if I am stupid – and I am not!! It only makes sense to you because you have EXPERIENCE - you forget you had to begin somewhere first and talking down to people trying to learn just solves nothing. Leave it be - I will get it to function or not.

I’m confused why would a connection need to be made between the computer and the Roku?

1 Like

Calm down. No-one is saying you are stupid.

Remember, we’re trying our best to help.

But we’re not there beside you, and rely on you to be absolutely precise about what steps you are taking, and what error messages you get back; with the exact wording of the error message, and where it appears, or screenshots. Without that precision, we get the wrong picture, and are likely to misunderstand the problem, and suggest wrong solutions.

For remote diagnostics, it is important for you to answer every one of our questions as clearly as possible. We do not ask the questions just to be difficult, or waste your time, but in order to fully understand what is going on.

Likewise, we may give you instructions that you think are very basic. But we do this because we don’t know what you know, and what you don’t know. You have said you are not very technically savvy, so we may take you via ‘baby steps’; please forgive us if you think that is patronising. It is not our intent. You may also use words that have an accepted technical meaning, in the wrong sense, which will also confuse us (e.g. your use of ‘downloading’ earlier, which I asked you to clarify).

Your Roku should not be trying to connect to your computer now. Your Roku should be trying to connect to the Twonky server on your MyCloud, via your router. Your computer can be turned off, as it has no part to play in the Roku accessing the Twonky media server running on the MyCloud. That’s one of the great things about having a permanently-on file and media server; your PC does not need to be on, just the little white box in the corner of the room.

Here’s how your system should be set up.

The MyCloud should be physically connected to your router, by ethernet cable.
Your PC should be connected to your router, by ethernet cable or WiFi.
Your Roku should be physically connected to your TV, by HDMI cable or socket (depending on model)
Your Roku device should be connected to your router, by ethernet cable or WiFi (depending on model and your preference), ensuring it is on the same IP subnet as your MyCloud (their IP addresses should have the same numbers in the first three fields, e.g. 192.168.1.32 and 192.168.1.33)
You should be able to access the file server via File Explorer.
You should be able to copy files from your computer to a folder in a share on the MyCloud.
It sounds as if you have got that far; having copied the files, the PC can now be turned off, if you want.
You should be able to access the MyCloud’s Dashboard via a web browser.
Now you need to turn on the Twonky media server, using the Dashboard, and enable media serving on the share containing your media. From the FAQ:

Q. How do I start the Twonky Media Server?
A: You need to set two controls in the Dashboard:
Use the Shares|Public|Share Profile|Media Serving control in the Dashboard to enable media serving on the Public share (or whichever share(s) you have stored your media on). Use the Settings|Media|DLNA Media Server|Media Streaming control in the Dashboard to turn on the Twonky Media Server.

The Twonky media server will now start to index your media. You can monitor the progress of this by using the Twonky UI. From the FAQ:

Enter the address and port in your browser’s address field, with a : between them, for example:
192.168.1.32:9000 [replace this IP address with that of your MyCloud]
You can also use your MyCloud’s name, e.g. WDMyCloud:9000
This will bring up Twonky’s UI page.

Go to the ‘Status’ page in the Twonky UI, and it will show how many media files it has found.
When it looks like Twonky has found files, go to your Roku UI using the TV, and start the Roku Media Player.
You should see the available media servers, one of which will be called something like WDMyCloud. I can’t remember exactly what the default name is, as I’ve changed the name that my Twonky server presents. I also don’t have a Roku, so I can’t tell you how to find a media server using it; Mike & Bennor may be able to give detailed instructions, though if you have already accessed the Twonky server running on your PC, you must already have found out how to do this.

1 Like

Again, to reiterate, I am not trying to be patronising, or suggesting you are stupid.

I am simply trying to explain how the system should be set up, as clearly and unambiguously as possible.

You need the complete user manual for your particular My Cloud model. It may be in a folder of your My Cloud, or you can download it from WD Support at www.wdc.com

It is apparent you are way over your head, are impatient in getting this all up and running, and someone like you needs a savvy “computer buddy” sitting by to help you do all this.You are getting excellent help here under the circumstances, and lashing out at the people helping you is uncalled for.

I need to get on with my life today and also don’t need the drama here, So I will watch from afar, and I am going to bow out best I can.
Good luck guys helping her out.

1 Like

I am using the WD My Cloud 3tb and a Roku Streaming Stick. I am able to access the files mp4, mkv’s fine when using the built in roku media player app however, i am not getting any sound from any of the hundreds of movies I have. I was able to hear all of them when i used my Apple TV 4th gen.

Any ideas whats going on?

Roku is a limited player. The Roku is a DLNA player, and therefore cannot play iSO (movie) files

Buy An Amazon Fire TV stick on Black Friday sale and download the MrMC app from Amazon and you can play anything, incl. ISO files.

The Roku cannot play certain audio codecs that are used to encode media files. It’s why you see video but hear no audio.

You may need to check how the media was encoded to see what audio codec was used. For example the MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) program can tell you what the media file contains. You may have to re-encode the media to use a Roku supported audio codec if you want to use the Roku Media Player.

Other options include using Plex or Emby media server to stream the media files to the Roku. Those media servers may transcode the media into a Roku supported format.

I have the no audio issue from time to time with certain files I’ve obtained/downloaded from the internet on my Roku. I typically use Handbrake (https://handbrake.fr/) to convert the media file so it an be played on my Roku(s).

If one has a large number of files that need to be converted it may be possible to batch convert them with FFMPEG (https://ffmpeg.org/download.html) using a BAT file or similar to create a script.

That’s what i first thought however, I have another Roku Streaming Stick connected to the kitchen HDTV and it plays the sound just fine.

Are both Roku’s the same? In other words are they both Roku Streaming Sticks? If not it’s possible one model has different features than the other.

As a troubleshooting step convert one media file and see if the Roku that isn’t playing the media will play the new converted file.

Obviously this assumes one has checked their Roku settings and cable connections to ensure it’s not configured improperly or that its not hooked up to the TV properly (or somehow muted). Some TV’s may also need additional configuration to properly play audio from devices like the Roku.

The kitchen has the Roku Streaming Stick works fine w/ the sound. The family room has the Streaming Stick+ which is giving me problems w/ sound.