Ripping Software

Hi, i was wondering if any one can help, i am currently ripping my dvd’s to my NAS drive and sending a wireless signal to my WD TV Player, the only problem i get is when i rip a dvd i save it as a AVI so when i watch a film, i can’t press the next button to get to the next chapter. So is there any software that works well with the features of the WDTV system that i can buy and download, so that i can go to the next chapter, or even a solution as to structure the files better when i have ripped them to the NAS Drive.

Thanks chaps and Chapess’s

To get chapters like the orginal DVD you need to rip to the DVD spec not an AVI etc.

You can use something like DVDFab which has a free ripper after the trial period is up.

The best thing to do is to rip your DVD to an image (.iso) which makes the complete DVD one big file and keeps all the original DVD together with chapters etc.

Rich many thanks for the info, i will give DVDfab a try, i have tried DVD shrink which is a brilliant piece of software but it cant handle some of the latest DVD’s and their incryption. So thanks again

mark

The DIVX container supports chapters as does MKV. Personally I prefer xvid and use the 10 min skip if necessary though.

Does the WDTV support chapters in Divx? I know it does in mkv but not in exactly the same way as a DVD.

Probably because MKV chapters can have names and they wanted to list them. Haven’t tried DIVX on the LIVE cause I do encode to XVID.

Sorry being a bit thick here what is a DIVX, is that a file type that DVDfab supports or is that another type of software.

Ideally what i would like to do is save a dvd to my media server, and then access the film via the WD TV so that the main menu of the film starts up and you can choose the scene selection, is there any software that will do this?

thanks

Markyc wrote:

Sorry being a bit thick here what is a DIVX, is that a file type that DVDfab supports or is that another type of software.

Ideally what i would like to do is save a dvd to my media server, and then access the film via the WD TV so that the main menu of the film starts up and you can choose the scene selection, is there any software that will do this?

thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX

Markyc wrote:
is there any software that will do this?

Use DVDFab to rip the movie, preferrably to ISO.

Ok thank you i will give it a go and see what happens then, hopefully this will enable me to use the menus and scene selection etc as if off a normal DVD.

Cheers and thanks for your help