Ripped off by Walmart and WD

I purchased a WD 8TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive from Walmart and it never worked after being taken out of the box. I contacted WD support and was eventually told to send the item in for RMA. After sending into WD then I recieved this response.

"
Thank you for contacting Western Digital and we apologize for the inconvenience. Upon inspection of the drives returned under RMA *********, it was determined that the drives may have been altered and is not eligible for replacement under WD’s limited warranty policy (https://wd-en.custhelp.com/app/Warranty_Policy).
Per our warranty policy: “If upon inspection of your returned Product WD suspects fraud or deems such Product to be counterfeit, WD may, in its sole discretion, confiscate such Product or take such other actions as it deems necessary.”

Due to our warranty policy we cannot return this product to you. There is no warranty associated to this product and service will not be rendered. We recommend you contact your place of purchase for compensation. You may use this email letter to demonstrate Western Digital’s official view of the product you purchased from your vendor.

We apologize for the inconvenience this issue may have caused you. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email.

Sincerely,
Western Digital Global Customer Care
https://support-en.wd.com
"

Walmart is not responsive to any communication and I am left without any recourse. This item was new when I purchased wrom walmart and there was no physical dammage to the unit.

Is there anyone that has or had a similar issue. If so what were you able to do to resolve it?

Unfortunately I did use crystal disk and even sent screenshots to WD as part of their troubleshooting to show them the issues I was having and that it wasn’t showing the correct disk size. I didn’t try to open the casing up because it was sealed with no screw holes. This is pretty terrible the way WD has handled it. It should be traceable somehow with the serial to try to pinpoint when and where it could have happened.

Yep that’s what i would do, and in fact have done in the past.

All retailers have a return policy ranging from 30 ~ 90 Days … within that time customers should deal with the retailer to resolve the problem (be a refund, exchange or store credit)

Outside the return policy range it’s out of the hands of the Retailer and then you deal with the Manufacturer.

Years ago, i bought an External UDB HDD from a retailer … after a couple of days it would intermittently connect and disconnect, discovered the USB Port was faulty.

Took it back to the retailer (with the purchase receipt) , explained the problem and got an exchange without any fuss … excanged drive has been working great for the last 6 Years.