Rip DVD software DVDFab

Hi,

Very simple question, I have used DvDFab to copy a DVD to my NAS drive MyBookDUO and watched it on my WDTVLive box.

If I rip the DVD as VOB it is fine, but if I rip it as .mkv I get a banner on the tv when I play the movie - DVDfab.com.

Has anybody seen this, is it because I am using the trail version of DVDFab

Thanks

Mike

More a DVDFab forum question, but yes it will be the software putting the banner in, to get you to buy it.

With a DVD you are just ripping the VOBs out, a Mkv is encoding the video to a different format.

1 Like

Thanks, I guessed so

I recommend

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

its free and you can rip your DVDs to ISO that will work perfectly with WD HUB

Take Handbrake! its free

Thanks but it does not wrok with the MAC as far as I can see

Mikeyt wrote:

Thanks but it does not wrok with the MAC as far as I can see

Sure it does.  In fact, Mac is prefered and is the “native” OS for it.

All other OS’s are “ports” for it.

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Thanks, got it working

Why would anyone want to rip a DVD into mkv format other than its native file? All you have to do is duplicate a VIDEO_TS folder and it will play just like a DVD player retaining all the original extra materials as well as sound (Dolby Stereo, Dolby 5.1 Surround), subtitles, and chapters. I haven’t use DVDfab in a while but version 8190 allows you to rip DVD and also Blu-Ray (m2t, mts, mkv). The newer versions would not rip BD unless it is paid, but I believe you can still copy 1:1 DVD discs.

Mikeyt wrote:
Hi,

Very simple question, I have used DvDFab to copy a DVD to my NAS drive MyBookDUO and watched it on my WDTVLive box.

If I rip the DVD as VOB it is fine, but if I rip it as .mkv I get a banner on the tv when I play the movie - DVDfab.com.

Has anybody seen this, is it because I am using the trail version of DVDFab

Thanks

Mike

80sGuy wrote:

Why would anyone want to rip a DVD into mkv format other than its native file?

… to save space, primarily… and to chop out all the other unwanted files (comentaries, “extras,” etc.)

Running a DVD thru handbrake reduces the size by up to 80% while preserving the same quality because the AVC codec is MUCH more efficient than MPEG2.

What about retaining chapter files? I can also omit unwanted stuffs like foreign languages, commentaries and certain extras by using DVDRemake. This will not reduce the file by 80% but certainly worth keeping its original functionality.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

80sGuy wrote:

Why would anyone want to rip a DVD into mkv format other than its native file?

… to save space, primarily… and to chop out all the other unwanted files (comentaries, “extras,” etc.)

Running a DVD thru handbrake reduces the size by up to 80% while preserving the same quality because the AVC codec is MUCH more efficient than MPEG2.

Handbrake keeps chapters, too.