Ridiculous - When will WD lift docking of 2+TB drives for media players

The title says it all. I dropped $350 on WD products and 3 days of my life downloading content onto my 3tb essential book only to find that WD has no media player that supports this. Yes, I could partition split my drive and spend 3 more days downloading but I ask why? Why block 2tb+ drives? This is senseless. So now I get to take back all this ■■■■ to best buy. Been loyal to WD but this chaps my behind raw

The drives are blocked because there’s a similar data corruption issue as when you try to use a >2TB drive when Vista is booted from a MBR boot drive.

You’d be screaming even louder if your files got corrupted because the issue wasn’t resolved.

By blocking access to >2tB drives, WD is keeping your data safe.

…and you could have checked the specs and supported devices before dropping all that time and money on an unsupported drive. :wink:

I’ve read all the ■■■■. This has been a known issue for over a year. It should be on the box label that it does not support >2tb drives. It seems odd to me that this has been on the table for so long and no one has found an answer and that WD is so reluctant to provide information in regards. It would be nice to know they are working on this and an estimation of a firmware update that will resolve this.I doubt i’d be screaming louder, it’s worthless to me as it is so that makes no diff.

Preost wrote:

It should be on the box label that it does not support >2tb drives.

“Warning… may not work properly with future devices that haven’t been developed/released yet, and therefore can’t be currently be tested with it”.  Isn’t that a given for any product?

Preost wrote:

I’ve read all the ■■■■…

It would be nice to know they are working on this and an estimation of a firmware update that will resolve this.

If you’d read it all, wouldn’t you have already read this?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Important-Notice-Regarding-Single-USB-Drives-Greater-than-2-TB-s/m-p/163552#M20263

Guy_K wrote:

swapto wrote:

any updates please?

It’s been partially fixed, but there are still issues. Until the problem is completely resolved, these drives will remain disabled. This is a high priority issue, but it’s complex to fix, so I’m not sure when a fix will make it into a firmware release.

Preost wrote:

This has been a known issue for over a year.

Well, since the Live Plus isn’t even a year old yet, it can’t possibly be a “known issue for over a year” for 3TB drives to not work with it.  Add in the fact that 3TB USB drives only started shipping around July of 2010, and how could anyone have known back in April 2010 that the drives weren’t going to work?

If I recall correctly, it was around Novemeber 2010 when the corruption issues started being reported.

Hello,

today I received my brandnew WD Live TV together with a WD my book Essential 3tb. Also for me, they didnt work together.

So I tried the drive splitting option. I Spent the whole day, trying different options for partitioning the usb drive. None of them worked. Can anybody tell my how I have todo this?

I tried 2 partitions, each 1.5 tb, ntfs -Fat32, gpt -mbr, nothing worked…

One partition primary, other one logical? Both primary?

Or at least tell me if theres a chance, that this fix wil be released. Otherwise I have to send the drive

back and buy a 2tb.

Thanks